Lawn Care Forum banner

Rain Been a B1tch Today

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  zturncutter 
#1 ·

Mother Nature is messing with me all day. She stops the rain, then just as I get started working in my garden, She rains again. After getting out my tools and putting them back 6 or 7 times I give up. It is too hot for a garden right now any way.

#4 ·
ric, 2.10 inches in my neck of the woods as of 10:55pm
Bill

I been meaning to ask you about your weather station and it's hook up with Wunderground weather. What the cost and does it bring in any business??

You know where I Live just up the road from Wally World. I have one of those $ 10.00 big tube rain gage from Tractor Supply. It is in the Middle of my yard with nothing around it. It is showing over 4 inches.

I just installed a 250 gallon IBC pallet tank to collect rain water for my Hydroponic garden. It over flowed with the first down pour.

#5 ·
Ric,

The weather station is a wireless vantage pro 2 and its hooked up thru an adapter called weatherlink, which is hooked up to my router. I used to have the station hooked up to one of my older computers until the computer bit the dust. I liked it thru the computer because the info was updated every second, verses the weatherlink is updated online every 15 minutes. I have the pieces, parts to get the computer back up and running but haven't got to it...probably one of my winter projects. The station was around 300.00, have it mounted on the roof and the anemometer mounted on the peak of the roof. The weatherlink adapter does all the uploading to weather underground, and with the computer, a software program does the work. I only know of one customer that I picked up from seeing the weather station info online and the guy was from the U.K. and lives in Bobcat Trail. I was shocked when he told me where he was from. Most of my calls come from my website, The phone has been ringing like crazy with all this rain, but some are looking at one time cuts since their lawns got out of control with the rain. I tell them my minimum pricing and that ends that. I tell them to call the lawn-wanna-bees with the signs on the sides of the road that quotes 20.00 per cuts. I don't have time for those people....

Yesterday, my rain gauge measures 3.18 inches for the day and so far today I got 2.56 inches of rain. I guess the value of my house went up since I have water front property now since the swale in my front yard is like a swimming pool. HaHa

#7 ·

As High and Dry as I thought I was I have standing water in several spots. The River/canal is at least 5 ft above normal and my swale looks like a white water rapid. The sheet flow comes right at me. My house is still 5 ft above any flood but my barn/shed is inches from a wet floor.

Last big storm I had 5 inches of rain, This time I have 5.5 inches but the ground had not totally dried out from the last big storm. News just said we are in for an other 2 inches.

When the rain finally stops, it will take two day of drying out before I can spray anything.

#8 ·
Bill on average how long do those weather stations last before you have to replace different components ?
The unit I have mounted on the roof now has been there for 7 years and I believe it was last year I had to replace the humidity sensor. I had it mounted up north when I lived there for many years thru the winters so its been awhile that I had this station. They are pretty durable.

#11 ·
If this next wave of rain headed at us from the south holds together I won't be working much the rest of the week, we are under water now :cry:
I already wrote off this week. Monday is my first planned day at this point. I see a daily steam bath for all of us.

#12 ·
another 1.02 inches of rain for me today. I didn't get 2/3 of my route done. Bahia lawns are out of control...I worked today in between storms and a lot of back yards has standing water. My rain gauge measured 8.29 inches of rain since Sunday, but I'm sure other areas had more. Unreal.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.