Rain Bird 100 DV troubles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GMC Driver, Aug 4, 2011.

1. GMC Driver

GMC Driver LawnSite Member

Hello,

We've got a system we built last week, and am kind of puzzled about this one. It's a 1" system, 85 PSI. Have a Hunter Pro-C controller running the 15 zone system all with Rain Bird 100 DV Valves. Unusual to use different manufacturers - possibly, but this combo has worked for us with no issues in the past, and ease of accessible and interchangeable parts is important.

Problem is with one valve that will not open from the controller. Have tested it with a multimeter - have 24 V at both the controller and the valve, have replaced the solenoid, diaphragm, and top of valve twice, ran jumper wire for both ground and lead, and still can't get it to go. The solenoid buzzes, but the diaphragm won't open. Valve will open manually no problem, and shuts back off. Just can't get it to open by the timer.

Even tried a different valve terminal on the timer, also doubled up the control wire - still no difference. We're kind of baffled - only thing we haven't changed is the valve body on the bottom - unless it's a porting issue. I did run a wire down through the solenoid port and it was not plugged.

Any ideas?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I do the same set up , proc with 100 dv. Had that same issue once earlier this yr. Rebuilt it , same thing. Rebuilt it again and wouldnt turn off. Rebuilt it again and has worked fine since. Sure made a lier out of me when I said " we will be done in about 30 minutes"

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Ive been using PGA valves for the last year pretty strong.

4. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

On 1" systems we also use Pro-C's with 100 DV's. Been a reliable combo for us.

Crazy problem you're having. Just put in an entire new valve and return the old to your vendor for a new one. Then ask for an additional one (freebee) for your troubles.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

DCs have been having plenty of problems his year. Sticking open, leaking at solenoid orings, not opening electrically, etc. Bad year for DVs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

luv those Richdel valve designs :)

7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I've pretty much used the Richdel designed valves for the last 25 years.
    I'll have to say that I don't like the new bleed screw. You have to almost/or take the thing off to get the valve to bleed open!

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You don't use the solenoid lever?

9. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Been having problems with DVs too this year... Seriously thinking of dropping them.

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

205's don't have it.