Rain Bird 47 and 91 Series Impact Rotors?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Crazy Cutter, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Crazy Cutter

Crazy Cutter LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Hey guys, have any of you installed,serviced, or have any expirience with the bigger impact rotors by Rainbird? Got an aunt who needs to irrigate a 4 3/4 acre field for light animal use and thinks she wants and underground system and my buddy and I will help her install it. Her regular lawn system is 3/4 Maxi Paws and some assorted Nelson rotors already and she thought that a bigger version of the Maxi Paw would maybe be the way to go because of there reliability, most of them were installed in the early nineties! What do you think, they're my personal favorite to use. Property has good water source and I believe enough PSI to run 3 or 4 of these bigger heads at a time. Right now she uses two 3/4" brass Rain Bird impact heads and a couple hundred feet of hose (tough old girl) that she moves around when watering is needed but she's in her late 50's now and so in the next few years that won't be able to happen, and I have time off now to help her over the weekend and next week. Another not so good option is to just burry pipe and install more brass impact heads above ground on 1 or 2" risers as a permanent install but were worried above the mowing when it becomes needed too, so we're shy about this idea.
    P.S. is the duel nozzel option worth it on these and how much more water PSI do you think it might require? Thanks for any help guys with this weird install.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Better to use above-ground full-circle impacts, if you want best reliability. What's your water supply flow and pressure? (gpm and psi)

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Was thinking of several suggestions for you until I read this and then my 'feeble, late 50's brain" took a nap and I went and had some applesauce and a shot of Geritol.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I have experience with up to 1-1/2" impact sprinklers used on our QCV systems but I'm not familiar with the term "impact rotor" unless you're talking about really old ball-impact rotors. Modern sprinklers are usually separated impacts (such as the Maxi-Paws) or gear-driven rotors (such as the Falcon). Better have lots of GPM/PSI if this is what you're referring to.

5. Funny the Aggie game did the same thing to me Jerry.:hammerhead: :cry:

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Yup... they had their lunch handed to them. :)

7. Wet_Boots

Football? What about all those important Astros and Rangers games?

8. Seeing as how the State of New Yawk has not won a single pro football game I can see how you'd feel that way. Can't wait for baseball playoffs though. Please give us a Sox/Yanks series.

Texas Pro Football 4-0

New Yawk Pro Football 0-6

9. The get rid of Fran rumblings have started. Aggies desperately want to be an elite program and everything is there for it. Money/facilities/stadium/fan base/recruiting base. They just can't seem to get over the hump. I'm not ready to ditch Fran but that offense is very predictable. If you can't make the dbs play deep you aren't going anywhere against the better programs.

10. Wet_Boots

Listening to Yanks and Mets fans complain about their bazillion-dollar teams is getting kind of old. Pro football is kind of off my radar lately (Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, and assorted other idiots)