1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rain Bird Academy Boot Camp, Good/bad?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by fsujammer, Sep 27, 2013.

1. fsujammer

fsujammer LawnSite Member
    from IA

Hey guys, I currently only cut grass but would like to get into installing/servicing sprinklers. I know the best way to learn would be to work for someone for a few years but that is not an option for me. I am a school teacher who has my business on the side but would love to go full time someday doing sprinklers along with the mowing.

My question is, have any of you or your employees gone to these training classes? Are they worth taking a week off of work and spending money on a hotel and possibly airline tickets?
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Better than nothing I guess .........
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, this sounds strange coming from a professional educator.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Your not going to learn in a week what you need to know. Don't waste your money. Continue to build your lawn service and leave the irrigation to the pros. Its impossible for a small company to do both effectively, you just don't have the time.

Same can be said for the lone irrigation pro that has the idea he'll start adding lawn maintenance to his services. Then he runs into an irrigation job that will take a week +. Skip the lawn care that week? For some quick $$$. lol
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. I can not disagree more with what you said other than the part that you won't learn everything you need to know about irrigation in that one class. its only good for the basics

Nothing is going to teach you than hands on experience with the mistakes costing you $$$$$$.

Regarding being able to do Maintenance, irrigation, pest control, not only does a golf course superintendent does this but many many companies do this. If you do any kind of commercial maintenance, knowing to install and repair irrigation is a must.(its why you have employees doing the actual work)

The cities around me will send grounds maintenance employees to these classe, though many of them are local for them.

Knowledge is power. The question is why is he working in this field? I thought we paid our teaches really well......see, paid days off, only actually teach part of the year, pensions, health care.....really don't get me started.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Firefighters, cops and now teachers want to be irrigators. What next, politicians ? Last thing we need is the president screwing with the irrigation controller at the White House.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Prez - "Hey, what's the red button on this controller for?"
  8. Sprinkler Buddy

from Florida

"Its impossible for a small company to do both effectively", as in a one crew show. I know many professionals offer this service but they are often larger companies. Not the one man show, as the creator of this thread.

"knowing to install and repair irrigation is a must"
    Repairs are a must I agree since we are often the ones that damage them but installs should be left to a true irrigation professional.

"Knowledge is power"! True that!
  9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

not with these you won't
    Posted via Mobile Device

Damn, that didn't work :hammerhead :
  10. Sprinkler Buddy

from Florida

Little do you know! lol
    Kind of hard to damage sprinkler heads if you know exactly where they are and can avoid them with the mower tiers when mowing with the Sprinkler Buddy installed on the sprinkler heads. :laugh:

You might want to check out my latest video on YouTube to have a better understanding of my invention. I would post the link but I'm not allowed being I'm not currently a sponsor.