Rain Bird ESP-M

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Jun 20, 2013.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I thought this controller was near perfect. Simple and easy for tech challenged clients and held it's program if unplugged or during a power outage. I now have to use the ESP-ME (Enhanced). Much more complicated and a higher price.:hammerhead:

2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then definitely stay away from the ESP-RZX for your tech challenged clients. It's a lower cost controller but it is station independent so it's a little different to program and it's a little more confusing. I actually like the ESP-Me however. If you really have to dumb it down there is always the STP Plus series which is idiot proof.

3. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

OMG, I HATE that controller. I guess I can see where it would be *easier* for a homeowner to program but it is so contrary to pretty much every single controller a pro would use, especially having to set a start time and watering days for every zone. Ugh!

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

I'm no fan of it either and I would never install one but for some people it's exactly what they need. The stupid thing is that it was originally designed as a consumer product to be sold at Home Depot (which it still is) but then they felt the need to sell it commercially too.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

All controllers should be station independent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

Most people are too dumb to get their head around the concept station independent. The best station independent controller ever was the Rain Bird ISC-B+

7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I had a service call today for zones stuck on. Zones 1-4 were on and the dial was in the off position. I unplugged it and they all shut off, plugged it back in and all was fine. ESP-4MI installed 7-2-08. I've never seen this problem before.