Rain Bird ESP-SMT Smart Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all screw terminals baby! You're good to go with the remote pigtails. I've actually installed pigtails on a couple of the units that we are testing (I think they were even yours). Actually that contoller has a 24V hot tap right on the block so you don't even need to mess with the transformer wires either!

2. I'm so happy.

3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Points.

I also have no idea how close their weather stations are in relation to
    my controller. I usually check the Daily ET figure it receives every day and
    wonder how accurate it is.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

EBay - here come my Smartlines :rolleyes:

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So right now the weather stations are only wired correct?

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The weather station looks like a monstrosity. Did you see my earlier post about some HOAs not allowing weather stations?

7. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

The weather stations are currently wired but they are not that big. They are maybe 6" x 6" x 8" high. They have a nice sturdy mounting bracket as well. They are not that big and defiantely smaller than the S/L station. The funny thing about the S/L station is all it has in there is a rain switch and a temp sensor and they made it all big and stupid. The Rain Bird station has a tipping rain gauge and a temp sensor. The Rain Bird measures the rain fall and then calculates how much of that is actually usable when calculating the schedule. The S/L just shuts the controller down and "guesses" how much rain fell and turns back on when the switch dries out. Not very accurate IMO.

8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully they will work with no "recalls" as we all know Rainbirds history with new products. I'm hoping it works as advertised and is RELIABLE.

On a completely different note, when the heck are Toro's new super duper precision series nozzles gonna be available?????????

9. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LOL... they're on the same release time table as the V-1550 was when it was announced... which means we'll see them in about a year!

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How do the programming adjustments deal with iron-clad watering restrictions that don't give a flying fig about your cutting edge electronics?