1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rain Bird ESP-SMT Smart Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

That was a typo on my part.... even the weather station on our Maxi-Com only has a resolution of .01. Too many zeros!

2. The only reasonable way that I see a controller of this class allowing for a true "skip day" feature is to have an option for manual setting allowable depletion values for each zone.

Nice thinking Kiril. Does any controller do this?

UI means user interface?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a thought - I often program a controller with an eye towards when household water use begins. If I want the watering to cease by 6AM, and I have set a window from 1AM to 6AM, will the controller move up the starting time of the watering cycle? Maybe a 2-hour cycle will become 4 hours at the height of summer.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Completely agree here. The weather station should at a minimum support a optional anemometer and the controller zone location with respect to compass direction.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I know I have said this before, but I will say it again. Don't put a lot of faith in the SWAT testing. Beyond that, given most landscape plants do not even have a determined Kc, or ETc, stating ET percentage variance is more than a little misleading.

I seriously doubt wind speeds used by this controller consider the influence of site vegetation and buildings on wind speed and direction, both of which can have an enormous effect on AE. A well chosen location for the weather station and an anemometer would go a long way towards maximizing AE.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

They are still not supporting the full Penman-Monteith formula. Assumptions and approximations are being made.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly, I don't know. I will assume any controller that supports soil sensing does.

yes

8. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

We can debate whether or not the supplied weather pod is sufficient or not all day long but like I said before.... the ET values that this controller calculates have been within .01" of a $10K full blown Campbell Scientific weather station that I have at my house. I don't know about you guys but it seems to me that as long as the thing is that accurate the point of whether or not it has an anemometer is irrevelant. You get out into the real world of landscape and how things usually get installed and .01" of ET doesn't make a bit of difference when you get right down to it. I know that on some of the other field tests the units were checked against Maxi-Com weather stations and they had the same results as I observed.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Dan, before I would go to the length of saying it is 0.01 accurate compared to a full blown weather station, I think at least of full years worth of data points at a minimum interval of 1 hour would be necessary.

Second, there is more to wind speed/direction as it applies to maximizing irrigation efficiency than simply a single variable in an ET calculation (see post #55).

10. Keeping it affordable and usable is key as well. Remember Kiril your avg installer isn't going to have the depth of knowledge you do. Get it too complicated and expensive and it ain't gonna fly. There are controllers that do what you want on the market now.