Rain Bird ESP-SMT Smart Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This controller already goes WAY beyond what your average installer knows. Why not add a few more options to make it a little more efficient? I do agree with keeping it affordable, so the anemometer should be optional add-on to the weather station.

Lets take for example the central valley. Wind is a BIG issue here, is pretty much a daily occurrence, has a HUGE effect on AE, and no monthly ave will ever cut it.

Another thing I didn't note before, I saw no option for meeting leaching requirements. Unfortunately not all of us have high quality water to work with.

2. Do you buy your car with every add on known to man?:dizzy:

Leaching requirements? Most irrigators think a leach is a blood sucking worm or a drunk buddy.

3. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that Peter really had the right idea. This is is $250 controller. It's pretty damn accurate for what it is and what it is intended to do. Ultimately the name of the game is water conservation and if this controller can reduce water use significantely and keep a landscape green and healthy then they have succeeded. You look at the Hunter ET system with it's full weather station and it's a disaster. They don't even market it anymore because they can't make it work correctly (although thats a whole other issue in itself). Before you pick the thing apart totally you have to admit that compared to what else is on the market in that price range it's a significant leap in the weather based controller game!

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't expect the controller to accurately calculate boundary layer conductance, but I would like to see options to suspend irrigation when AE falls to a certain percentage due to wind speed and direction. This is especially true when wind is carrying water off-site, out of the zone, and/or onto hardscape.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I already admitted as much .... now it is time to pick it apart. :)

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

So how about the thing expanding the zone times and still keeping within a watering window. (the basic idea being to water as late as possible)

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

8. accurately calculate boundary layer conductance

IT DOESN'T DO THIS! :cry:

Seriously though it is a great step in the right direction for RB. We need the big boys to fight over new technology and RB has been slow to the game. Hopefully they learned from others and their own mistakes. I'm looking forward to lots of feedback. (Don't tell John Jr but I may replace my SL just to test it)

9. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

So is the controller with the weather station $250?
    Anyone know what Hunters weather station cost?
    I actually heard that they pulled their weather station, tested it feverishly and determined that the landscapers programming the things didn't know what they were doing and thats where the problem is. Not saying I buy it, but I could see that being a problem.

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

After the "army of lawyers" threat that a certain company, that will remain nameless, made I will not post anything about this controller ever again.