Rain Bird online store...... what's up?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

Why are they doing this?? Does any other manufacturer have an online store?? I now have customers questioning our mark-ups on materials.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

simple solution , dont sell rb.

3. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

Easier said than done. I happen to like their products and feel that most of them are the best in the industry..... which I know is a matter of opinion.

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

but do they sell the knowledge to install, maintain, repair, ect...

do you think auto repair shops are mad that people can buy parts online for their car...

or does you mower dealer get mad at place is like jack Small engine for selling parts online...

lf your folks question your markup... tell them to go out and buy the parts. you'll be more than happy to install. and when they forget to buy something then you bill them for your labor up to that point. and leave until they order the proper parts. then come back. bill them again for a second service call..

Also remind them that if there is a warranty issue, that they will need to call RB send the part out and pay for you to uninstall, and reinstall...

if all you are selling is parts than this sucks. but by and large you are also selling your knowledge and expertise, not something they can get over the phone or on line..

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't go look at the store, but they are probably selling at MSRP. which is suggested retail price and would be listed the same at HD or Lowes. In 15+ years, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had someone say they can find it cheaper somewhere else. Now my labor rate on the other hand.............

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you really believe you can't do good work without using Rainbird equipment, you aren't paying attention to what's out there. Price is what got a lot of installers using their rotors. Not superior quality.

7. That SAM/PRS 5000 series is what got me using RB rotors. Not always price.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

RB rotor nozzles dont go low enough for them to ever become my main rotor.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I think their 5000 standard nozzle tree comes with a 1.0 and a 1.5 gpm nozzle. Maybe I'm wrong. Haven't picked one up in a few months.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Corner heads on small water can occasionally be PGP #2 nozzles, and I don't think the 5000 goes that low.