1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rain Bird or Hunter ???

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by meeoch, May 11, 2009.

1. gogreenmaureen

gogreenmaureen LawnSite Member

My husband uses hunter. Last job all rainbirds were replaced. Customer hated being woken up by the rainbirds. lol

2. LilesLawn

LilesLawn LawnSite Member

I use all Hunter products for a couple of reasons. They are both great products, I get better service out of warranty returns and coverage from my Hunter rep. I am set up as a preferred contractor with Hunter and you get more points for every dollar you spend with them vs. Rainbird. My suggestion is always find something you like and stick with it. Consistenvy is the key to efficiency.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The rain bird models that are sold in the big box stores are all lower grade models. Just because the company puts some of their products in the big box stores, doesn't make them bad/poor quality.

I buy rain bird products. They are the easiest for me to adjust and work with. I only buy the 5000 series, typically the 5004's, for my rotors. I have only had one problem with one but was able to exchange the broken one for a new one, problem solved. And the 5004's shoot water way farther than any other head, so the coverage on open lawns is great.

4. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Spray Heads-Both

Nozzles-Rain Bird.

Rotors-Both.For 17 years all we put in was Hunter , The PGP is a good head. We just switched to Rain Brid this year, I like them.

Controllers-ICC Hunter

Valves-Weathermatic

Dripline-Netafim

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I utilize one brand wherever possible on new installs or retrofits.
    Typically, unless architectural plans indicate a specific brand, Hunter is used for everything.
    In my area of operations with the heavy clay soils and rock drip irrigation is not utilized.
    Occasionally I will use .25gpm emitters on specific plantings but no actual subsurface drip emitters.

6. Joes94tt

Joes94tt LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Spray Heads - Hunter, due to previous Wiperseal problem had with RB is why i made the switch now it is strictly a cost thing

Nozzles - RB, hunter has made alot of inprovements since there gen 1 nozzles, however i still feel RB has the nozzle patterns right

Rotors - Hunter, I am with AI Inc, RB rotors are pain to adjust especially when dealing with bigger rotors.

Controllers - Hunter, Ease of programming, Cost, and ability to comply with Smart controller Laws that water companies have put in place by simply adding a Solar Sync

Valves - Plastic Hunter, Brass RB, Again on plasic side Cost and ease of Maintenance, on Brass RB has had that since the invention of the G-series valve

Dripline - Netafim - The only way to fly!

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

well, i have always used Hunter for my installations(not very many as it is not my main focus) but service toro, hunter and rainbird. overall i rate them in this order

1. Hunter
    2>Rainbird
    3. Toro

i really dont like Toro, but their are many systems installed here i manage that used all toro.