Rain Bird Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by golfgame, May 29, 2012.

1. golfgame

golfgame LawnSite Member

Using a ESP-SMT controller. Having two zones that are rotors. Set for .60 in p.hr, .45 effective rate which I assume is to allow for the grade slope. I felt the cycle was too long so I adjusted it using a -20% adjustment.

Having done that the adjustment is being taken off of the second portion of the cycle after a rest period. The first portion runs for about 25-30 min I would guess, it then stops to soak in. When the second portion starts it is on for a very short time.

Is there a way to divide the total cycle time into two equal portions?

:)

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Reduce runtime and have 2 start times?

Not sure what your asking
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. golfgame

golfgame LawnSite Member

The normal programmed settings based on the grade and desired of inches per hour are broken into two cycles by the computer, cycle, soak, cycle. From my perspective I thought that was more water than required.

I attempted to change that by going to the section to fine tune the settings. I told the unit to reduce the cycle time by 20% I believe.

The unit did that OK, the first cycle seems to be the normal length but the second cycle after the soak period is very short.

I am asking is there a way to make both cycles close to being equal?

Would I be tetter off not using the fine tune a setting and reducing the overall water time (inches per hr)?

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Can you assign the same zones to separate programs on that clock? That way you could use staggered start times to avoid runoff.

5. golfgame

golfgame LawnSite Member

Don't know, will check the manual. If so do you think that would negate the cutomatic control of the unit?

6. Mike Leary

I had no idea Ron Popeil and Ronco were involved in irrigation controllers. :dizzy:

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Quit trying to outsmart the controller, it doesn't need to run 2 equal amounts of time to give a proper cycle/soak. Once you've gotten this controller setup with the correct zone information, the less you try to control it the better it does. When you start trying to make it work the way you want it to, it will just result in over watering.

Mike - I know you haven't seen an SMT in person but you don't setup "programs" in the traditional sense on it. Trying to program it or make it work like a traditional controller really isn't something you can do and if you did go through all the effort to get close to that, you'd be better off just putting an ESP-4M faceplate on it.

8. golfgame

golfgame LawnSite Member

BCG,

In your view what are the 1 or 2 most critical decisions to be made in the setup of the various zones?

9. Mike Leary

I'd rather figured that, geez, I sure feel "old and in the way". Wait a minute, I am. :)

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sunspots :p