Rain Bird RC-Series Clocks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by wilbilt, Sep 10, 2010.

1. wilbilt

wilbilt LawnSite Member

No, I don't have one.

Yes, I am a homeowner. I'll take my lumps. :hammerhead:

I just have a couple of questions about these controllers. How long have they been around? It seems I remember seeing them at my elementary school in So Cal when the groundskeeper would leave the mechanical closet doors open.

I thought they were the coolest things I had ever seen. Those dials with the pins and the "Rain Bird" name on them. Even at my young age, I knew what they were, as dad had a RB impact on a stake at home. That was about 40 years ago. Have they been around that long? The school was built around 1964-65.

Secondly, is it odd that I would remember them so vividly being I was only about 8 years old at the time?
  2. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Where's Honcut?

RC's were here before me. I haven't the faintest.
  3. wilbilt

wilbilt LawnSite Member

The very southern part of Butte County, east of Hwy 70, about halfway between Oroville and Marysville. Population is about 250.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

RC clocks were normal in most installs when I started out, as were W*M & Imperial. When multiple program clocks came out, we ran for them.
  5. Seems i recall rainbird had an oldest rd still working contest a few
    years back. Early 60s was the winner. Great clock. In my top three. Id take an rd over an imperial valet any day.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. wilbilt

wilbilt LawnSite Member

What's the difference between RC and RD?
  7. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

About 3/4 of an inch :laugh:
  8. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

Early 60's is when the RC clocks came out. Something worth checking out is Rain Bird's virtual museum on their site. The RC clocks were released as competitors to Aqua-dial (who at the time dominated the entire golf course controller market) and Moody. They were cool clocks with all those pins and how you would have to "kick start" them with your hand to get them to go through a semi-automatic cycle. They were only discontinued about 5 years ago if I'm remembering correctly. I think the RD was just a updated version of the RC.

They wouldn't hold a dime to the new clocks, like the pro-c. But hey, Lawn Weenie and Intermatic still make electro-mechanical clocks.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

a typo ~ There are a myriad of Rainbird controllers with "RC" as part of their model number. The RC-7 might have been around 40 years ago.
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i'm rebuilding this guy