Rain Bird RWS

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Dec 4, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone used these Root Watering Systems yet or know someone who has? Any info good or bad?

Rain Bird Root Watering System.jpg

2. Never used em...but I used to make my own out of SDR Perforated drain pipe.....used to work awesome, full of gravel and buried 4-6 feed deep on palms....I think I'm gonna sue Rainbird.

3. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

No , What are they used for shrubbed areas? around trees?

4. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

da it said root watering systems i forgot to read and went for the pic.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Tony. We modify things to fit the situation and then someone comes along and starts selling the item. Guess we never thought anyone else would be interested in these things we make.

We used to make our own out of PVC, drill a few holes, fill with gravel, and run a drip emitter into each one, and then put a female adapter and threaded plug on it so they could add fertilizer. Usually put four or five around the drip line on larger trees.

Jerry

6. PurpHaze

I've used 4" perforated PVC sewer leach pipe filled with gravel before. I'm afraid my boss will get wind of these some day and would like to have some observations ready for him. Guess I can always order a few and try them out on my own.

7. PurpHaze

LOL... They are NOT new age bongs. :p

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I would think like most inovations, they work if used in the right scenarios. I remember vividly the prof in college teaching the Landscape Maint. class putting a graphic up on a design for doing this in planter boxes for urban street trees and how they offered the ability to fertilize, etc. He started the topic with just the graphic and a question about the viability of such a contraption. One of the promising LA's in the class gave us a three or four min about how they worked. Prof said that was exactly what they were DESIGNED to do and then he used a few expletives and told us they didn't work in any way shape or form because of the limitations of the courtyard/sidewalk containers they were installed in.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to hijack this thread slightly.

One thing that always really bugged me about Rainbirds taller popups (12" etc) is having to dig such a deep hole for the head.
    I designed a simple two piece telescoping stem that would use rainbirds existing wiper seal and head. I figured you could reduce a 12" popup to a 6" body.

My Father-in-law worked in the plastic injection field and he was going to help me make a prototype so I could patent it, but he passed away this year. I opened last months "Landscape and Irrigation" and see that some company called "Hit" is making telescoping RB 1812 clones....Pissed me off.

Moral of the story, if you think of something clever, patent it...otherwise someone else will make it eventually.

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Well Jon, if HIT Products continues on their same path as the last 10 plus yrs, it will quit working in a couple years.

HIT Products are at least one step below Home Depot grade sprinkler products.

Several years ago when I was working in wholesale distribution the HIT reps called on me and put a solar powered controller on my desk. Asked, "Well what do you think of this?" Had to ask them what it was. One said, "Six months from inseption to distribution." like he was proud of that fact. I asked them if they did the field testing in the car on the way down to San Antonio. They didn't think that was too funny.

Told them I would like to try a case of them. When they asked for the PO, I told them that they could send them to us gratis and we would find some contractors to field test them. Never did get that case of controllers, and never did hear too much about them afterwards either. I did hear that they were selling a boatload (their words) in Calif and Florida.

Anyway, HIT makes some real crap. Even their valves that were a Richdel 205 knockoff werer crap. They had bought the old Richdel/Lawn Genie models.

Just a little more irrigation trivia.

Jerry