Rain Bird wireless rain sensors ???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I just learned today that Rain Bird is discontinuing their wireless rain sensors. I asked the service tech to pick me up a few sensors at the supplier & he Nextel'd me to say that that he was given Irritrol sensors. After calling the supplier to say WTF, he told me that Rain Bird is done manufacturing them until they can make some changes. Hmmm. Does anyone know why Rain Bird is discontinuing them?? I haven't had any problems. Also, how well do these Irritrol wireless sensors work. I guess that I have to use them, we are now too spoiled to go back to running wires to sensors.

Rob

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter makes a wireless Mini-Clik

3. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I just checked it out on Hunter's website. I really like the "Quick Response" feature. What a great idea. I have fielded sooooo many phone calls over systems running during rainfall. I'll check with my supplier to see if they can get them. I have read on this forum that many of you use Irritrol & are very happy with the products. I'm having a hard time shaking the bad feeling that I get knowing of Irritrol's affiliation with Toro. I have dealt with so many Toro nightmares, and continue to on a daily basis, that installing anything with that name will be tough.

Rob

4. Wet_Boots

The Hunter wireless rain detector is also supposed to be compatible with older Toro controllers, that used a normally-open rain detector. Irritrol is a sort of catchall brand name now, to hold the purchased product lines. If nothing changes, all is as well as ever, if someone tinkers with it, who knows? I personally like what Toro did with the Richdel antisyphon valve design, since Hardie had gummed it up some years earlier. I'm not so in love with the solenoids, but Hardie hadn't done right by them either.

5. Rain Bird also quit making the remote controls also. I believe it has do something with the FCC. Transmitting without a license.

6. Wet_Boots

Hunter is kind of leery about the FCC. Just ask them about the 'error' message one gets with too long a wire run between the controller and the remote receiver connector. There is a fix, but Hunter can't touch it. Or talk to you about it.

7. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Irritrol Wireless design is originally R&D Electronics- It is a great system and sets up just like the MiniClick. But as mentioned as long as Toro does not mess with it ! Toro has also come out with their brand which has some nice features, but I just refuse the install anything with that name. I wish that Hunter could incorporate the same MiniClick top end into their wireless

8. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Irritrol is a good sensor. We have had very little problems....Toro hasn't redone them yet. Hunter WRC had some issues last year that have been ironed out. So if you go with WRC make sure it is built in 06 not 05. As far as the RB wireless we haven't been able to get them since last year. They tell us they sould be out shortly.:laugh: