Rain Bird wireless sensor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dbielawski, May 17, 2005.

1. dbielawski

dbielawski LawnSite Member

Can anyone elighten me what the issue is with Rain Bird's wireless rain sensor? My supplier said they received a bulletin but didn't elaborate. Is there a problem with previously shipped ones? If so, what? I've switched to Hunter's wireless sensor. Anyone have any comments on it vs. Rain Bird's. Thanks, any comments appreciated.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I was talking with my RB rep the other day about this issue.

There are still several in the pipeline. And the ones that are out there still work pretty good. You can buy them and install them. I personally bought up a dozen of them when I heard they had stopped making them for a little while.

The issue is that in 3 years, when the battery goes out, it's easy to accidentally turn off the rain sensor or something - actually at the sensor itself. He said it's a common mistake that when the contractor or homeowner goes to change the battery, they also accidentally turn it off or something like that. So even though the problem won't happen for 3 years or so - RB decided that it was a big enough problem and happening often enough that they'd just stop making them until they could re-design it and fix the problem.

I am still installing them. If there is a problem in 3 years when I go to change the battery, whatever. I'll deal with it then.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm, well this is some interesting information.

4. dbielawski

dbielawski LawnSite Member

Spoke with my supplier on Monday. No sensors available for 8 weeks! Anyone else with the same issue?

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, they are running out. I am going to have to go down and buy another 6 of them tomorrow because I am already out of the 6 I bought a few weeks back. Last I heard, 2 of my suppliers still had them available. But that's just because they already had them in stock. They haven't been making more for a little while now.