Rain cad usability

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GrazerZ, May 9, 2007.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I've been looking at rain cad for our irrigation and landscape install work. Do any of you guys out there use the program for both. I've looked at programs like pro landscape and others but rain cad seems to be the only one that will do both. If there are other viable programs that you may use and like I would like to know about them. I like the sraight forward design style of rain cad for irrigation but the lamdscape design seems a bit choppy, am I missing something? Does it have a hand drawn effect for layout? Just some simple questions to help me make a decision. I need to have something soon, the hand drawing is killing me...

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using RainCAD suite for about seven years now but mostly for the irrigation side of the program. The program has worked great for us as I use it for to-scale deigns, unscaled zone maps and other documentation reasons. I only use the landscape part to make the irrigation designs look better so I can't really comment on that side of the program.

3. Legolas

Legolas LawnSite Member

I use CAD with own purchase.
    I did a new menu for landscaping and for irrigation, with images in both. Its test version of menu HirtiLine.

Before, I used RainCAD and pair of other applications for CAD. They are doing a big job, but they are very expensive.
    Many of irrigation software have lousy landscaping part, and backwards the same.

4. Gee I miss this guy.

5. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

I second that. One person that knew a crap-load about irrigation. :weightlifter:

6. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

I use CAD with own purchase.
    I did a new menu for landscaping and for irrigation, with images in both. Its test version of menu HirtiLine.

Before, I used RainCAD and pair of other applications for CAD. They are doing a big job, but they are very expensive.
    Many of irrigation software have lousy landscaping part, and backwards the same.

Hi Legolas, nice to have you on here. How's business in Croatia?

And yes, things are very different without Purphaze, but much of his irrigation knowledge does live on in the Lawnsite annals, which I find totally invaluable.

7. Legolas

Legolas LawnSite Member

Thanks for greeting Estonian!!

Job is doing fine in Croatia, not so much people are doing this business here- thats big advantage for me.

I"ll return to theme; I am finishing new menu for CAD, with landscape and irrigation part.
    After that I"ll afford it on free download to community, off course.

8. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

RainCad Is on my TOBUY List this year.

9. Is that something that can be bought used or secondhand? I know of people who have RainCad and never use it.

10. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Yes in fact i bought on Ebay the oldest version of raincad. I couldnt use it, too complicated. I resold it on ebay awhile back. The new version is alot easier to use.