Rain damaged 2 lawn repair/installs

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by hackitdown, May 16, 2006.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Last week I did some very large patches, one covered half the customer's lawn, about 4K sq/ft., the other about 1500 sq/ft. Both jobs involved trucking in material, grading, seeding and starter fert.

Since Friday, we got about 15 inches of rain, and both jobs are damaged. One will need significant reworking to repair, the other just some raking, but both will need to be reseeded and fert applied.

My question is...do I have any responsibility to repair these problems? I think I should bill them time and materials consistant with the original job. Any advice on how to discuss this with the customers?

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

It's thier responsibilty. If you put on an addition and a storm put a tree on top of it, same thing to me. If homeowners ins. doesn't cover it then the homeowner does.

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta agree...:usflag:

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to say that you need to work with the customer. I'm not talking about giving away your labor for free. At the same time, I don't feel you should charge as if it was a new job.

I would contact the customer and be simpithetic towards the situation. Share with them that you are in the same position with losing money due to mother nature. Tell them you are offering current customers to do the job to cover your expenses.

I would make the first contact and be in charge of the situation before the customer calls you and your back is against the wall.

Good luck and I hope it dries up fast for you northern LCO's.
    It has been raining for days down here but nothing like what you are dealing with.

kc

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Act of nature and I'm not responsable according to contract. BUT if you want to make happy good refering customers I would use the renovator and only charge for materials. I'm only looking at a cple. hrs and can make up the time with what I charge retail cost over my whls. cost on materials

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

My only problem with that is that repairing is often more work than a new install...