Rain day policies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscapingpoolguy, Feb 14, 2004.

1. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys,

What do you guys do as far as rain day policies go? For instance if it rains on the day you are schedualed to cut do you go another day or skip it till the next time they are schedualed for? Trying to tighten up my policies/contracts

Chuck

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Rain days bump everything forward one day until I can get back on scheduled service dates.

3. landscapingpoolguy

That messes up yur whole week tho for only a day or two of rain delay.

Chuck

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Move up the schedule to the next day, or whenever it stops raining. Then work 12 hour days to catch back up.

If you wait till they are scheduled again, your gonna have some mighty tall grass on your hands. Makes for a big mess!

5. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I usually split up the ones I had on that day to other days. In my contract I state that cuttings are not scheduled to any particular day or time and they can occur anytime from dawn til dusk Sun - Sat. If it rains for more than 3 straight days then your cut will be postponed until next week.

This works for us. Hope it helps.

Steve

6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the lawncare buisness.;) :D

7. landscapingpoolguy

Normally we will try to make up there visits on another day. So basiclly try to squeeze in 1 or 2 more at the end or beginning of the day. If it rains for more then 2 days then I skip it till next week because then I am already at least 25- 30 custromers behind and I dont like to rush, besides I only have flat rate monthly contracts. I was just curious as to what other do.

Chuck

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Heck during last year if you didn't cut when it was raining you went well over a month with no cutting.
    Most of the time I cut in rain. Just put on bagger and go. I mean if it is a down pour I will postpone but if it just drizzles for days I will cut regardless. Sometimes you have to double cut but cant afford to just wait till next week.

9. landscapingpoolguy

Did you absorb the cost of bagging and dumping the grass or did you bill your customers extra? and if you did how did they respond? I happen to notice that if the ground is too wet, the mowers will leave ruts in the yard. I would rather explain not showing up verses having to try to fix ruts.

Chuck

10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

This is another area specific question you are asking. Here in the NW it rains all the time. However, it's more of an on again, off again slow rain rather than constant downpours and deluges. We mow in the rain all the time just to keep caught up. Only rain that stops us is a heavy rain.