rain days per season

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Littleriver1, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I just noticed something in another post. I like keeping track of things. Has anyone ever kept track of how many rain days they had in previous years. I mean like what day of the week? AM or PM ? Full rain outs or 1/2 days? Early in the month or late? Number of days per month?

Bill

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

not really,i've been too busy working...

3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Sort of. One of my estimating instructors in school did. He figured out that in what year he had 260 work days and figured out off days including holidays and rain days one year. He came to 38 days. So the lesson he tought was to make your money over 220 days not the length of the season. I still use that formula when figuring overhead.

4. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

newleaf what shcool did you go to?

5. newleaflandscape

Lansing Community College and Michigan State

6. sproutlscape

sproutlscape LawnSite Member

we work in the rain with rain-suits.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey I think I seen you working here in my area last year. It was a FREAKING down pour for 4 hours. These guys had so much green juice and clumps in the street and side walk it took a month for the green to dissolve.

8. newleaflandscape

Working in the rain usually isnt an option for us since 80 percent of our jobs are new installs and a good downpoor and conditions are to wet to get into. I would have to agree with specialtlc usually if you are working in the rain your getting half the amount of work done that you usually would. Not to mention employees dont work worth a crap in the rain. All that spells to me is lost money when working in heavy rain. Since you labor expenses double. And dont tell me that your guys still work the same pace in the rain as dry conditions cause that is a load of crap. Usually if it is raining I just send two guys out to do any little things that need to be done. Like replacing dead plants. Planting one street tree or something like that. And I just tell them to work inbetween the raindrops. And I hate paying for that cause I know it is losing me money. Thats why you figure in the downtime.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year was an excessively wet year for us, and we lost over four weeks of working days between April and November. And the snow didn't melt last year until about early March!

Hopefully this year will be better.

We kept track of where we were with a monthly calendar that was printed off of Publisher. Since we are small (3 people total), it was easy to do that.

Dan