1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rain Days

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

I was hoping to find out how other LCOs treat rain days. I somewhat feel like I'm abusing employees by calling off work in the morning, and then it clears up in the afternoon, and I try and call them back in for work. Do you pay them to be on call during rain days? Do you just call the whole day off? I also end up making up work on the weekends. Do you expect your employees to be available whenever you need them? Thanks in advance.
  2. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinking about the same thing , a good idea is to have them be at the yard the same time as normal no matter what weather then go to your garage or were ever you have thats enclosed and have them do things like change oil , blades, clean out the trailer or what ever ya no its good to do that then you have them there for 3 hrs or so and see how the weather is. If its good then start cutting if possible or just do some kinda maintenance job if you have it lined up . Just my ideas
  3. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

ya before I started on my own I worked for a larger company and we had to go in every day no matter what. We got payed for 2hr's no matter what and if the weather stayed bad we would go home.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My foremen will call their respective help in the morning and they all decide how to go about inclement weather...I just leave it all up to them. They know the drill and what needs to get accomplished each week.
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty much the same deal as Rod. Our new thing is that I will meet with my foreman on rainy days and we all go out to breakfast. We will call our guys and tell them the deal depending on the day. We go over any problems, and discuss business as we eat. They all know that if we need to work on a saturday because of rain, they must show up. My foreman get paid for 40hrs a week regardless of weather. :)
  6. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

rainy days are an ideal time for maintenace, repair or even picking up materials that need to be at job sites ect. as an owner its also a good time to catch up on paperwork or estimates if you still do that kind of stuff or if you have none of the above its always a good time to take a nap.....:confused:
  7. Turbo cut

Turbo cut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I completely agree with you there!!! Just let them work for a while, clean the shop, fix anything that has been fixed "just good enough to get by" and of course line up equipment to have a 10-15 minute head start in the morning!!
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i do administrative work on these days like tomorrow however i got two dedicated employees that work all the time, except sunday so tomorrow when its still a monsoon out there they want to work so theyll be out digging footers and cleaning out a building
  9. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

DBL where do you find these employees? LOL