rain days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsu03, Feb 17, 2008.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how do you guys deal with rain days? even if it only rains one day, it might still be wet for two days. being in high school, this would be one of the major setbacks if i decided to start up. comments?

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

cut in the rain. takes a lot longer, its 10X harder, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got enough commercial properties lit up at night, I've mowed for 30 hours straight before to get caught up.

4. Raven386

from CT

there is a point where its just too wet to mow. while your in school thats just something you will always have to worry about. theres always saturdays and sundays. but if you get a week of rain what do you do?

5. LwnmwrMan22

Unless it's raining 2" / day, it's never "too wet to mow".

Last year in August, we had 30" of rain. Everything still got mowed.

It didn't look the greatest, but what are you going to do??? It's gotta get done. People understand.

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm guessing this rules out the mulching vs. bagging dilemma. :laugh: My service agreements are going to state side discharge or mulching as mowing conditions allow or something along those lines. So if I have to mow wet grass I'm bagging. Mowing in any heavy rain is not an option IMO. The quality of cut will go to $#it. Again my service agreement will state a rain clause make up days etc.

7. Raven386

from CT

well i do draw the line at the site of lightning. i dont care if its 1 bolt or a storm. i see it i'm inside.

8. LwnmwrMan22

Absolutely 100%. One of the reasons I listen to so much talk radio while mowing, you can hear the lightning from miles away with the static.

9. Raven386

from CT

why would you bag wet grass. its such a pita... id rather double cut. thats just me, to each their own.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I'd rather wait until things dry out ... it gives a much better cut !! Like Exact Rototilling said, his service agreements have provisions for these types of conditions ... also, the clients will understand, for the most part !!