1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rain Days

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exess100, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Exess100

Exess100 LawnSite Member
    from N.Y.

What do you guys do when it rains for the day or the week? How do you catch up and how would you charge your "monthly paying" customers(if it rains for a week)? I'm guessing for your weekly paying coutomers it's just a loss if it rains for a week.
  2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

This time of year I schedual one or two "light days" during the week, which I can use to catch up when it rains. If it doesn't rain I always have a landscape or clean up project I can work on.
  3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I just make them up on the next available nice day.
  4. ohioman 71

ohioman 71 LawnSite Member

My suggestion is to have a day you can float one way or the other. I try to leave Mondays open and if rain looks certain for say tues or weds, start your mowing for that week on Monday so that way your at least covered for one day anyway. You can't trust weather forcasts, they often change 2 sometimes 3 times a day. Just have a day you can move around and that should help. On the weeks that weather looks good, use that day to mulch, prune, or even work on your equipment.
  5. Exess100

Exess100 LawnSite Member
    from N.Y.

Thanks for the GREAT advice guys. Please keep it comming.