1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rain Delay - On the clock?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, May 28, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Are my required to pay for time spent sitting in the truck during a rain delay for 1 hour?
  2. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

Only if you want to retain quality employees.
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Shady,

I was looking for more of a legal response. Yeah, I know what the guys want. But am I required by law to give it. I'm not trying to be a hard azz or anything, But 8 men in overtime sitting down for a few hours each week during a rain delay really adds up.

Maybe we could call that time "lunchtime".
  4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you are paying them by the job, I believe so. You pay them for the time spent riding from job to job, right? What if you get stuck in traffic for an hour?

You can send them home and tell them that you'll call them if it clears up, but that can be kind of uncool if you're "sending them home" for 15 minutes or something.

I think that if you break for lunch, it's a lunch break.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi Gene $immons,

If you need more advice on this, you can send a question to our CPA and get a response from them? Maybe they will have more to offer. Click on the scrolling link above.