1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rain delay strategies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, Jun 30, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

what do you guys do if you get backed up do to rain? Do any of you go and do all of the line trimming for those yards and the ones for the next day and then just mow the next day? I have done this before and it can save alot of time>
  2. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We actually did that very thing the other day so that we didn't get behind!

It seemed to work out well b/c we were doing our biggest property (a Mall) and since it was raining (lightly), no one was outside making our job a hell of a lot easier b/c usually we contend with people walking everywhere due to the large size of this place (and its 200+ stores). And its a real PITA when you're trimming and literally 20 people are within range.

We also do a lot of maintenance on rain days.. Clean/Replace filters, change oil, sharpen blades, check fluid levels...
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

That theory may work fine for a solo guy, but not for anyone running crews.Why double the investment time / overhead for the same accounts two times in one week? They will still be there the next day. The other thing to do is not overbook your mowing schedule so full you can't afford a rain day, because it will happen. Leave a day each week, and if it doesn't rain, move up the next install on your list(making someone very happy) or take the day off and go golfing and make yourself happy :D
  4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

If i started cutting for the day and then it starts raining i will continue it its a light rain. If its a downpour i will wait awhile to try to finish. I will at least finish the customers home that i am at when the downport starts. If it is lightly raining i will use the push mower instead of a ztr and i will mulch it takes a little longer but i dont mess up my schedule to much. :waving:
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

So you are making two trips out to the properties? IMO you are spending more money on the lawns then you are making. You just used twice the amount of gas to get there. You just paid you or your help two times for being on the same lawn twice. If we get rained out we just get pushed back a day or we double up the lawns for the next day.
  6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i do
  7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I forget what rain is.

I dont think we have had a rain out all year.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Move to Florida.
  9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

or Vermont. Sobbing gently in the garage seems to help. :cry:
  10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

One of the things we used to do with our employees during a rain delay (not rain day) was if all maintenance was done (filters, blades, general maint, cleaning, etc...) we would go over our properties verbally one at a time. It was our policy to have crew members write down in notes if they saw something that needed done to a client's property so we could suggest to the customer. We would organize when add-on services and extras were going to be done - seeding bare areas, bed maintenance, pruning, etc.... Worked out well becasue they felt that they were playing an important role in keeping customers satisfied and helping us upsell other services...

and if that was done too every so often I would take the guys to an indoor batting cage that also had a hoop, video games, etc... nice every so often to spend time other than just outside working, etc...