Rain Dial question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 8, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have a customer with a 10-12 year old Irritrol Rain Dial that has broken manual and semi-annual buttons. Also the wires in the back for the battery have been broken long ago. I have fought with this controller for a while. Question is, with the newer model, is the ribbon the same so I can just replace the face plate rather than having the extra labor of un-wiring, un-installing, re-installing, re-wiring? He is used to this controller, so I kind of want to get the same one.

2. I believe they changed the plug type....also the manual button is now on the opposite side on the newer models.....

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

How many stations? I have a couple of factory reconditioned 12 station panels on hand that are about that old, and some used 6s and 9s. PM me if interested.

Meanwhile, I don't know if the plug has changed or not..but I don't think so. I switched one out that must have been 5 years old for more stations a couple weeks ago and it was easy. A friend took some off my hands and reports they worked out fine too...

What I noticed had changed was the plug for the Total Control. I still have one very old one here with a the original style.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

It is a 12 station. I'm going to check with the H/O to see what he wants to do for sure. I want to save him a few bucks on the labor if I can (or more I want to cut down how long I will be there).

5. older plug type vs newer plug type...yes it was changed...

raindial.jpg

6. Yes..they are different...as the pictures show.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

How new is that pic? Tha almost looks like an old RD and a RD plus SS plug. The rep at a show last month told me the new Rain Dial ( remote ready) will swap out to an old cabinet.

Dana I truely beleive they will. If I was you I would make a phone call before dismissing that idea.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'll talk to Dennis at Ewing, and then maybe give a rep from Irritrol a call. Thanks guys. We don't see the Rain Dial too often here. my tech from Arizona says that is primarily what they would use. and I know SprinklerGuy used them a lot down there.

9. I still get Raindials repaired on occasion. The bills usually are around 35-90.

10. Talk to Dennis at CPS..the more knowledgable Dennis.

Depending on the years of the two RDs.....they also changed the ribbon itself....meaning it won't work. The plug may or may not be the same....but at some point, Irritrol changed it and it will not function properly without also changing the back panel.

I'm old, but I remember stuff.