Rain during workday

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by familylawncare, Jun 4, 2014.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

work through the rain unless its a downpour. If the ground is too wet for a WB then we dont mow. We leave fridays open and they work 40 hrs m-t. Friday always open for rain or holidays or w/e
  2. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

AGREED!!!! Best hi-tech gadget you can have on you for this job is the radar! Just look at it, and make your own judgment call for the day. If it's light intermittent showers; your prob good to go! Just note in each customer's accounts under Special Instructions, the fussy ones that don't want you to ever mow when wet!!:nono:
  3. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

After you see lightning make sure you notify of your coworkers by waving a weedeater high up over your head. Safety first!
  4. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

Definitely call it off for Thunderstorms. Like some have said, walking around with solid metal poles isn't the best way to get ahead. We mow in the rain up until it gets too soggy to cut then we consult the radar and decide. If its wet when we get up we push it back until noon or it dries out. Past that we will call it a day.

The picky wet ones are always around too, got fired a couple times because we cut when we thought it was good and the customer did not.
  5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I do the same as you. I worked in the rain today, nothing serious just a 'm light drizzle that was annoying. If I have to I will bring rain gear.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Never gotten fired by commercial for mowing in the rain; they're more likely to complain because you're not there.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Locqus

Locqus LawnSite Senior Member
    from Detroit

^^ Oh commercial is amazing, they don't care when or how you do it. Residential are the picky bushes.
  8. pdreibels

pdreibels LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. I usually don't mow in rain but 1 of my commercials had me there 2years ago mowing in a downpour cuz they had some big wigs coming to the plant the next day....and its a 4 acre property. I was a soggy bottom boy for sure!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some of your commercial accounts....