Rain in 3 days should I?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rlu929s, Apr 18, 2005.

1. rlu929s

rlu929s LawnSite Member
    from MO

Ok it's Monday and I was thinking about mowing the yard and putting down a back our granular fertilizer I got at Lowes after I mow tonight.

I was going to mow the grass then spray it down with water since it says to apply it when the grass is moist and they use my spreader to apply it.

But It's Monday and they are calling for storms on Thursday. Should I apply it how long to wait?

It's very unlikely that rain will hold of that long in this area anyways but I was just curious.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I think you should not mow, wet the grass, and apply your fert/weed killer. If you mow it, you cut some of the weeds too and that is just that much less of the surface for the weed control to stick too. Should be good to cut by thursday.

3. rlu929s

rlu929s LawnSite Member
    from MO

Ok well that makes things easier:) I'll go ahead and wet the grass and appy tonight and will try to mow it by the end of this week. It'll be tall but what you said makes sense. We want to kill the weeds as well as fertilize. Should this help us have a greener & thicker lawn?

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

For a home owner yes. Make sure you follow the coverage on the bag. The more fast release nitrogen you put down now, the faster it grows in the spring. When you mow, mow on the highest setting, then lower a couple days later. Cutting more than a third of the blade off at one time is bad