Rain in Maryland

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Potomac Lawns Inc., Aug 28, 2002.

1. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Well we finally got some rain this week to wet to even cut bit thats ok i would prefer to see the rain, just though i would share a little joy, since it is the first bit of rain i have seen in a month.

Steve:blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

2. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Thank God for the rain! Its sooo nice to see it wet out again. I think I see my lawn greening up ;)

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you can see you lawn greening up you are in better shape then I am. Everything here is the most awful color of brown you have ever seen. Hopefully this rain will stick around for a few days.

4. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

We could still use ALOT of rain here in Indiana, we're SUPPOSE to get some the next few days.

5. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, we have some liquid gold falling, thank God. It may be a little late for alot of the lawns, but I'll take all we can get!!

Steve

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

This rain is great. Rained all day here, and is still sprinkling. I hope it keeps up through Sunday.
    I will proabably have to cut on Labor Day though.

My grass which was scorched has changed back to a pale green, and has jumped up about 2" already.

Tonight I will have to install gators, and possibly doubles.

Jim:p

7. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

hey! maybe we'll be so busy next week making $$$$ :D that this past dry spell was just a dream (not) :sleeping:
    some grasses respond fairly quickly to the rain others a little longer.

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

AAAHHHHH!!!! I could here the lawns moaning last night when the rain started. Like the nestea plung commercials! I talked to two other lcos early this week who asked me to buy thier business. To many drought years in Md over the last decade for them. I have a full time job so the loss is not as great. If I were full time , or considered going full time, contracts would be the insurance you'd need to stay alive in a year like this. I'm thinking of offering a season pre-pay deal of 20 cuts. My sales line will be to tell the customer instead of raising thier price I will give thm last years price on a pre-paid contract. Any cuts over the 20 will be additional and a monthly statement of the dates cut will be given so they can keep track. I will explain that during periods of drought when the lawn doesn't need mowing we will show up and edge and weed to prevent having an unkept look. I'll give them something for thier money. When we start cutting this week I am going to mention it to everyone I can so next spring the JOLT is not so big. In my area the average for cuts is 20 - 22 regular mowings then leaf cleanup mowings of 1 - 3 times. I'd rather not put the number of cuts to high and have to give money back. For most of my customers the price tag would be $500