Rain in Texas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSIM, Nov 22, 2004.

1. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

This rain is really slowing me down. I've got one more mow this week for my customers and it looks like its not going to happen till next week.

I saw on the news last night that South Texas just received 20" of rain!! It looked like a river was running through neighborhoods.

We have had one of the wettest years on record. A lot of the St. Augustine grass is getting diseased with Brownpatch from staying too wet.

Its raining now and supposed to keep on raining till Wednesday. Guess I be on Lawnsite for a while now. :rolleyes:

What are you South Texas guys doing? Lawnsite?? :D
  2. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Same here... I am a fert & squirt and the rain is killing me too. And Brown Patch...ahh man, I don't even wanna think about it...lol
  3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, me too! Woke up ready to go...but no go today. Many customers wanted a leaf clean up before Thanksgiving, looks like it will have to wait. At least I have lawnsite to keep me occupied!!! :waving:
  4. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Im in the same boat, I havent been able to mow due to the weather in over a week. This really sucks because I had vacation plans the first week of december. Looks like that will have to wait :cry: . I have never mowed this late in the year oh well, my check book is happy :D
  5. DSIM

z clark,
    I see you just started your business this year. What kind of mowers did you start out with?
    Are you doing some of the bigger properties over there in Southlake?
  6. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a Toro 36" floater and 21" pro line.

I am 100% high end residential. I have 40 accounts that are .5 to 1 acre. It kept my employee and I busy full time.

Been a great first year!....still going too!

I see you have been in biz for 7 years. Any advice on the growth of a company? (I have my plan....but am interested in how you worked yours!)
  7. DSIM

That sounds like really a great start! You are in a very good area. For a while I had a few high end customers in Keller that I did for 3 years but the drive from Arlington eventually got to me and now I have a lot tighter route.

I'm a solo operator with help on a few occasions, mostly landscape work which I do on Saturdays if requested by customers.

In my area its mixed with high end and middle class homes. My largest is .5 acre.
    I've used Lesco w/b's 36"& 32" up until this year when I bought a Hustler Fastrak Z 36". Now mowing is no effort at all unless I have to use the 21" (Proline also). With all this rain I rarely get to use the Z though.
    As far as growth of your company goes, I'm not the guy for that advice. :)
    Most of my advertising comes from word of mouth. My goal next year is 30 customers that I can handle by myself. I think when I hit 40 I'll have to add employees but until then I like working solo.
  8. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

i live in corpus and we havent had any rain. we did have a couple of days last week but nothing to troublesome.