1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rain jackets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Sep 13, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have any rain jackets for myself or my guys and with the fall coming up, I've been having tons of rain lately in the past few days and upcoming weeks.

What type of rain jackets do you guys have to work outdoors? do you really need the expensive $300-600 jackets? Or can you just get away with the MARKS WORKWEARHOUSE $50 rain jackets??
    ;) ;)
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Columbia and Carhartt..but why work in the rain??
  3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm interested in hearing some input on this. I use Carhart gortex raingear. Light weight, I stay nice and dry but WOW was it expensive. Of course, that was over 2 years ago and I'm still using it.

We don't get quite as much rain down here as you do up in BC but the cold fronts started heading our way a few weeks ago and don't seem to be stopping any time soon.
  4. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why work in the rain are you serious? This whole week is RAIN, RAIN..

:cry: :cry: :cry:
  5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I use Stearns rain gear. I have some fairly inexpensive stuff that I've had for a few years, think I paid $60 or so. Pretty well built stuff, but then again it doesn't get used a great deal. I like it, keeps me dry (like it's supposed to) and it's vented pretty well also, I don't sweat much if it's warm out.
    They have some cheaper stuff, and some upper end stuff, but middle of the road worked for me.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you can get Stearns rain gear at Wal_mart seems like decent stuff.
  7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have some Home Depot suits, 10 dollars for the kit (jacket,hood, and overalls). i have one that is slightly heavier, alittle insulated, but i only use that for the snow, and i bought that for 20 bucks, 4 years ago.

question tough for everyone, how do you clean yours. i tried everything, and it still, always looks filthy.
  8. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

yeah, i have that same little set-up from home depot, the bibs, jacket and hood, and that works fine for me in the winter when its nice and cold. i bought it for this fishing trip we planned during last winter when it was cold and we new we'd be getting a little wet, it kept us dry enough.

try looking for Frog-Togs (?spelling?) golfers and sportsmen swear by them, super light weight and breathable. might be a bit pricey, like, 60 or so for a jacket, i really dont know though.
  9. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

FGA, I've used Simple Green on mine and that seems to work pretty well. I'll scrub it with a brush & Simple Green then hose it off and hang to dry.

10. satch

satch LawnSite Member

The cheaper the better.It will get torn anyway.