Rain & Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 9, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

When your getting slammed with your lawns and the rain wont let up.. what do you do??? Ive mowed wet lawns b4 (had to) but was using 21". Are you guys taking your heavier equip. on ur residential lawns?? and if so, how do they do?? Im considering buying the lightest, cheapest 21" to hit lawns on rainy days, weedeat areas that are too wet..

I was also considering one of the hover mowers for this... does anyone know how they cut??? Im assuming not so grand. and if so, let them hit the over saturated spots.

better to knock out 7 or 8 lawns by myself on a Full day rather than having a weeks worth of lawns come the first sunny day...
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont use my belts in the mower but I worked for a guy and used a hydro in the pooring rain once and it worked good you just gotta go slow. But if it is like tropical storm than screw it
  3. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I guess you're asking about ruts/tire marks left by heavier equipment? I have had to cut in less than ideal conditions in the past and have regretted doing so on most occasions...that being said, a walk-behind is less likely to leave a rut than a ZTR, especially when tire pressure is reduced slightly (but this can cause the tires to 'grip' more in the turns and extra care is required to prevent tearing the lawn)...if you have to cut and make some MINOR ruts, just work them over the next couple of weeks with the tires of your rider and they will usually smooth out, compaction usually not an issue if it's a once-in-awhile thing...my .02