1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rain mowing???????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J.A.G LAWNCARE, Apr 28, 2008.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

do you mow in the rain or take the day off raining in Ohio at 11am ?
  2. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

This time of year in New England we take the day off. 45 and raining is dangerous and no fun at all. This is the weather that your toes and fingers are numb and you are mowing grass that hasn't really had time to re-establish hardy roots.
    June we work rain or shine. It is the only way to get things done. July-Sept, we are praying for rain to cool us off and knock some of the dust down,not to mention keep us mowing grass instead of dirt.

Fall depends on work load and temp. Usually the same as spring but a little more push thru the rain attitude because that rain turns to snow real quick here.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Actually most of the root growth is during the winter/ early spring, so it's already happened
  4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Light sprinkle YES! But a down poor of rain or lightning NO! we'll try to wait it out till it stops and if it looks like it's not going to stop then were done for the day.
  5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on workload and quality of lawns. Rain off and on today and my cloths are damp. Its cold windy and was actually sleeting about an hour ago. Man that stuff stings the face when it hits. Last week was out mowing during a light storm, decided to stop until the quarter size hail quit, then back at it. Put a laptop in the truck this year to moniter the weather on days like to day. Going to sit here and finish my lunch. Looks like the rain might clear out in 30/40 minutes or so, then be back at it again. Nice to have the radar handy instead of heading back to the shop only to wish that I had stayed out and kept working.
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I'll ask here. In the heat of the summer when it's dry and the grass growth slows down, do you ever explain that they (the customer) should water their lawns in the evening once a week? I had a person tell me when it gets hot, they will call if they want it done because it doesn't grow much. I told them that they wouldn't go without a drink when it's hot out, why should your lawn! He looked at me kinda funny but said he never looked at it that way and said he'll start doing it. This is one way to help keep growth going and allow the grass to grow enough to need cutting weekly. Has anyone tried this tactic so your not out of work when growth is at a minimum?
  7. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

HAHA I almost didn't say it because I new I would get that reply. Here in the north east the roots have been hanging on to the dust we have had for ground the last two weeks. Dont really want to risk mowing during the hard rain on top of what was a dusty ground. It was so dry the last few days you could almost push over an ornamentel tree by leaning on it.
  8. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Its that dry in April?
  9. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

It seems to be raining here almost every other day. Man, that dry in april, I can understand not wanting to get on the lawn in the rain or really wet. Its more like slimy mud. But if it was that dry the grass can't be growing too much. Last week here I had several yards (with other fert + sqirt Co.) that grew 12"+ in one week. Have to mow through the rain to keep up. But if I were making a muddy mess or can't get rid of the clumps, I will try and wait for better conditions if possible.
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ditto....light sprinkle to a really light rain...no down poors, lightning, or even steady heavy rain. Find a place to grab a cold drink, sit and wait it out if possible.