Rain No Rain ..sheesh!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, May 10, 2008.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year was no rain this year plenty of rain. I'm hoping to clear out Sat afternoon to finish for the week.Total wash out Friday. Mothers day is one of the important cut weekends so people can have their place look nice for MOM ! City Farming is what this business is!!!

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This has been the toughest start to a season yet as far as weather goes. I am finally getting caught up also but it has rough. Record snow, lots of rain, lawns that are beat from last years end of season roasting. Lots of potential $$$ out there. Good Luck on finishing up today. No mom other than yours wants to see you tomorrow!!!

3. jeffex

If it goes into tomorrow it will have to wait until Monday. Forcast calls for pm clearing and I need 4-5 hrs to get done. I'll cut the ones who I am sure are having family over first and see what happens. I may even need the bagger but Its all about at least trying to get it done.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Luckily we got done for the week but we are thinking about working later today if it clears out and even possibly tomorrow because they are calling for rain tomorrow evening, monday, thursday and friday.

5. jeffex

we definately need the rain . I live near Liberty resivoir and it still has a way to go to fill back up from last years record drought. Just a little break in the clouds for a few hours and I can finish!!!

6. Fine Lines

Fine Lines LawnSite Member

2nd year newbie hear but do you all mow when grass is wet but not raining?
    I would be able to do that on several yards I have,would help but this particular lady comes to mind,92 year old woman.She will call me if the slightest damp weather comes are way and questions if I should mow or not,afraid of making ruts.I assure her I won't do that and if the ground is to damp I won"t mow,but she will stand outside and watch me to make sure if the ground is damp.
    Sweet lady,and another big rule is NO MOWING ON SUNDAY"S

Anyhow just curious how the grass is expelled from the commercial decks when wet,have mowed when the grass is a lil damp and have no issue's but have yet to mow after good rain like we just had,without it drying out first?

7. jeffex

My rule is as soon as the sidewalks can be blown off its ok to mow if your trying to meet a schedule of cut for a holiday. cut high and be careful with your discharge of grass. double cut , bag ,whatever but don't turn off the blades over hardscape. that green spinach mess will leave a stain that ticks off customers. turn off blades near the back of the yard or somewhere you can go back and disperse with the blower. If brown ruts appear in the turf its too wet . I know what lawns drain well and the ones that need days to dry out.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I almost never have anybody say they need it cut by Mother's Day/Memorial Day/July 4th/etc.....I think sometimes we THINK they want it cut for a holiday. I'm sure they would prefer it, but I doubt it's the big deal a lot of us seem to make of it on LS

9. jeffex

it is what it is . I make a reasonable effort to get them cut but the weather controls the situation. No big deal but my customers tell me they appreciate the effort. A snidely remark or 2 on monday if thats the day I get to them but nobody is ready to cancel. thick skin helps on monday cuts for me

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Jeff,

I'm patiently waiting for the rain to stop too. It's gonna be a bear to cut but it has got to be done today. All day rain expected on Monday!!!

Good luck..............