Rain, Rain Go Away

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davis Lawn Mowing LLC, May 25, 2004.

1. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have had numerous tornados up in the Flint/Saginaw/Lansing region the past week or so. Its just flat out nuts. I forgot to mention my 13th customer cancelled service because a tornado tore up his lawn to about nothing, debris all over. Technically, it was straight line winds (mini tornado) but this weather is ridiculous. I have not seen it this bad since 1986 around here and back then I was only 8 years old. The worst part is the ground is so saturated by the time you can mow it rains again. Customers dont care if you leave mud trails from the mowers, they just want the lawn mowed and dont want to let it get out of hand skipping to many days. Thats a good thing, only leave mud trails on like 3 lawns, glad they dont care but I still dont like mowing them right now. Hopefully Memorial Weekend is nice, probably means it will rain Tuesday June 1st. :( At least my parents yard looks nice, I hit it every 4 days, 3 days if it is gonna rain on day 4. Hopefully this rain will prolong the grass so it grows longer into July and it keeps its green longer too.
  2. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Eastern Iowa has been under a Flood watch/ warning for the past week....

The whole midwest needs a break from the rain.
  3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My dock leading to my boat is now underwater. They closed the damn on our lake, because the river it flows into is already two feet above flood levels, and STILL RISING.

4. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

Hey Davis I'm from Jackson Mich just south of Lansing, and that storm we has last Friday knocked out half the cities power. I just got mine back monday night. And as for mowing I'm tired of the rain we have had 1 sunny day in the last 2 weeks.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know what you mean, there are houses on lakes up here that I can't mow because the back yard is under water by 1 to 2ft. The shoreline has moved up at a lot of places by 25 to 50ft.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

All the rain is not good now, but be careful what you wish for. It could be like other parts of the country where it has not rained for a long time and everything is dry and burnt up.We are getting pretty much now also. Horrible downpours and tornados. Hail. Today I think I was in a mini tornado. Raining really hard, then the hail, the size of golfballs, yes I am not mistaken the size of golfballs, and I was in the middle of it. I couldn,t see to drive and pulled off to the side of the road. I did not see it but stopped next to a electric post, well the lightning hit the wires and they blew up, started popping. I had to move but could not see where to go so I jammed truck into reverse and took off backwards for about 20 feet. I did not know if I was in the street or still on the side of the street. I decided to tery to pull in a side street, but as I turned into the street, my truck started to slide from all the hail. Put it in 4 wheel drive and pushed a little further to get out of the way. As I stopped and set the brake, the wind was soo strong that it was ripping all the leaves off the trees. It got so strong that it started rocking my dodge with cummins. With what the truck weighs, I knew we were in big trouble. My employee was scared to death, so was I but I could not let him know I was that scared. I thought the tornado was cumming and was going to pick us up and have some fun with us. After it was over, I thanked our maker for sparing us. I cleaned the leaves and debris off the truck and I found a nice dodge ram with hundreds of hail dimples, some pretty large. It is messed up bad, but I will turn it into my ins. co. There was at least a foot of hail on the roads, mixed with leaves, etc. WHAT A DAY!!! I AM GLAD IT IS OVER!!!!
  7. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

we had some pretty bad storms last night...no tornados in my imediate vicinity (about 25mi away), but we did have alot of hail and high winds...get to make some money off it though (cleaning downed tree limbs and such)
  8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

We could use some here. Have not seen rain in about 3 weeks. I hear thunder outside my window though.