Rain, Rain Go Away!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RADMAN, Jun 30, 2004.

1. RADMAN

RADMAN LawnSite Member

Here in Texas we have had an extremely wet June...How do you guys handle customers that simply don't understand that it is too wet to mow ? I had several gripe about me missing a week....They were scheduled for four visits and they got three...There contracts clearly read that there may be Inclimate weather that prohibits us from mowing from time to time.....It seems people just don't understand that it can rain 2 inches on Monday and again on Tuesday and it is too wet on Wednesday even if the sun is shining...I gave thenm a 25% discount just to keep them happy...I know if i mow it when it is saturated like that that someone will complain when I bury my 48 inch in their back yard......I thought about having them sign An Extreme Weather Release...Either letting me determine when it is too wet to mow or releasing me from any liablity if I rut up their yard...I want to make their lawns look nice...Afterall that is my name on the truck in the front street......How do you handle this ???

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The reason I'm here now it the 2 inches of rain we just got. Downpour, I was maybe 400 yards from the trailer and by the time I got there the front wheels were making waves in the water. I do have the TV on and they just talked about Texas and all your rain. I feel your pain!
    I just stop working and than start up at the same place when I can. I do not miss a job. I have set days that I do the jobs but all my customers know that if I lose a day or two than ALL jobs will be backed up till I catch up.
    I work with my guys 4 days a week- Mon -Thurs.- and than I do my Church by myself on Fri. which takes about 6 hours. I can lose about 2 1/2 days -work Fri. and the weekend and be caught up by next week. Have not had to start the week late this year yet but did work last Sunday so came close.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Come on down to Brazoria Co., Radman, we've had @ 15" here in the last two weeks!!!! I really am hurtin'. One thing I would say is, NO WAY would I give a Cust. a dicount for rain. Here, we've got nasty Gumbo and IF I were to try and do most of my accts. I would be stuck like chuck...

4. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hay send a little rain up to connecticut. We had LOTS of rain all season but only about 2" all of June. The lawns are starting to go into draught stress already. Thats about three weeks to early.

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Send some to Rhode Island too, we all dry up here since end of May.

6. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I'm having the same problems here in Hempstead. Even though it has now stopped raining all my yards are like swamps. I'm going to make the rounds tomorrow and see if I can't try to get some of them done without burying my mower.

-Brandon

7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

send alot of that rain here to MA we need it