1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rain , Rain Go Away !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RADMAN, Jun 30, 2004.

RADMAN LawnSite Member

How do you guys handle extremely wet months...I have a few customers that don't seem to understand if it rains 2 inches a day on Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday..Their yard is going to be too wet to mow on Thursday...I had to miss one week of mowing because here in Texas it has been a very wet June...These people went crazy... I am thinking of having them sign an Extreme Weather Release....If they sign it I will mow under any conditions...That way I am released from liability if I bury my 48 inch in their front yard...if they don't sign it then I mow at my descretion..when I feel it is appropriate....I want their yards to look nice...Afterall that is my name on the truck in the front street......Ruts in a yard don't look nice! Any thoughts ???

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Funny, you started a post w/the exact same title I was going to use. I know exactly where you're coming from. It has rained here this month more than it ever has in June here before. I am at the point I am sick of rain, I know it helps our business later in the season but it's killing me right now. I am full time w/95 accounts, when it rains like it has been it kills our schedule. I have alot of 10 day customers and its hard enough to balance them inbetween my 7 and 14 day customers without the rain. now here we are about 45 cuts behind schedule and have a holiday on Mon. Of course I know I'm the boss but I told my guys awhile back we would have the 5th off for the 4th and I not changing what I told them. I'm just getting really tired of not being able to work due to rain and customers wanting to know where we are like they have no idea thet it's been raining.
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yep,same thing here in Bama.I use the lawn tractor when it's too wet for the Z.Doesn't leave ruts,but it's extremely slower.However,the customers lawn gets cut and they're not complaining.
    Break out the riders guys.
  4. absolutelawnman

absolutelawnman LawnSite Member

This will make the 19th day for rain here in Oklahoma City, luckily I caught up last week, however I am on Tuesday and it is Thursday, hmmm.
  5. C&J landscape

C&J landscape LawnSite Member

We have must be getting all that rain up from Texas. Here in Tenn. it has been scattered rain for 3 weeks now. It always seems to be raining in the part of town I am working. As for the riding mowers I broke mine out of the garage to cut several rental properties yesterday because of how wet it was.
    Wake up this morning and guess what MORE RAIN! Looks like I will not have Monday off.
  6. dcwalker

dcwalker LawnSite Member

Me too. I've only mowed one yard this week. I have some tree work this weekend so I don't know how I'm going to catch up all these lawns. I don't know how some of these guys mow in the rain. I've tried it. Grass everywhere, lawns look terrible. takes forever. Oh well, guess I'll take my daugter to a movie!

7. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

Got pushmower???????
  8. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, you could send some of that wet weather my way. My non irrigated lawns are starting to burn up already.
    Don't complain, because you might just get what you asked for.