Rain, rain, rain...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

here in Va. Is it to late to aerate, seed and fertilize if the ground softens up?? I've been turning people down. I'm new to this and don't know if it's too late in the season.

v/r
    Gary

2. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

The softer the better, it's when it's muddy it's no good.

3. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

no of course not

4. Skeelow

Skeelow LawnSite Member

yeah its coming down here in Southeast.Va!!!! can't remember the last time its rained this hard.

5. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

offering aeration, overseeding, and fert. I thought it may be too cold to put down seed and fert. So when is it too late in the season to do that stuff?

Yeah, I'm between richmond and DC. I had about 10 aerations lined up...bought the equipment...couldn't do anything with it. I thought it might be too late because customers where asking for aeration a month ago and I told them it was too early. ???

Gary

6. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

There are already leaves and pine tags on the ground here. I have some yards to aerate and seed, but I think it's too late to seed because of the leaves and pine tags. The ground should be soft with todays rain. You should still be able to aerate and put down fertilizer. If the yards you are doing do not have alot of leaves to fall on new grass, you could probably seed also.

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man Im just happy to see rain!

8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Finally- Roanoke gets rain

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

There is likely some state university stuff on the web if you do a search for your state's extension service. I'm guessing you're at the last part of the window.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

We are expecting a warmer than normal winter. The seed may be able to get up in time, unless theres too many leaves falling . The aeration is designed to reduce the compaction of the soil, and if you waste a $100 worth of seed, let the customer decide how important the $100 is. I'd go for it.