Rain, rain....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Its supposed to rain today and Saturday, busted by hump working til dark last night and came up 4 yards short... Now those 4 yards, which are normally mowed on Friday, will not get mowed until Monday... Does anyone call the customer is this situation and let them know whats going on, etc??? Or just let it fly and get it mowed Monday????

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I'd try and squeeze it in on the weekend between the showers we're suppose to get. If not done by saturday, I'd call and ask them if they'd like it done sunday, or wait until monday.

We're used to working a full day on saturday anyhow, and not sure if you typically avoid the weekends alltogether, so your situation may be different.

Where about in Illinois are you guys at?

3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i always find it humorous to read about guys not mowing in the rain. Here in the pacific north west if we didnt mow on rainy days then our season wouldnt begin till around June or July. I would need a hayer. Our grass grows 2-8 inches in a week here in the spring. Can you imagine waiting till June or July? Perhaps it is just different types of grass that make the difference. i dont know as i am not in other areas.

4. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I absolutely hate mowing in the rain... Last year was my first season and I only had 2.5 days of work and rain was never a problem.. Now with 4 plus days of work I am finding the need to battle the rain...

I live out in the country between Joliet and Kankakee, split my days up between two areas... Luckily the 4 yards I have are in the small town I live in, so all are within 6 blocks of my house..

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jon,
    I'm a little north of there but like to go fishing at the Dam on the Kankakee river in the park near the "Dam Bait Shop"

I hate mowing in the rain too, but sometimes it's necessary, especially because if you get too far behind, you miss a week's pay, and end up cutting a mess the next week.

Good luck with it, hopefully the rain breaks a little for you.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have been really lucky so far this season. I work Monday through Friday and it always seems to rain between Friday evening and Sunday evening. I try not to mow in the rain, but if I have already started on the lawn I am at, I will stay and finish it up. A friend and I have a standing deal that if it is raining at 11:30 on any day of the week, we will meet at a specific restaurant in town and eat lunch. Its the only time we see eachother but we never mis a rain day.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

If the lawn is really thick I will try to get it into the weekend. My customer trusts me enough to know that I can handle the situation and there is no need to call them.

8. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

MOwing should only be scheduled for four days of the week. Unless you like working weekends.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Says who???

10. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

jon and twins were in illinois are you from?