Rain rescheduling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Schlepie, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Wow..... now that we've had rain for a week and should go thru the weekend, how do you reschedule jobs for the week it rained? Do you move everyone a week back or what? Do ya do the ones that actually need mowing and move the others? The grass hasn't grown much since it's been so dry. Lookin for some experienced options. Thanks:confused:

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If it were to rain from Monday thru say Thursday enough so that you could not cut, I would cut Fridays route as scheduled. When you get more than say 3 days of precepitation, you are better off just commencing your mowing according to that day of the week.

In your case if you can cut tomorrow go out and cut what you can from Fridays route. Then on Monday well Tuesday in this case you will start cutting Mondays route. By Saturday you will have everythinbg back on track!

Sometimes if it rains during the middle of the week we try to bunch the day of rain into the day prior and the day after the rains routes to keep us on schedule.

Kris

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

we might just do like they do up in washington where it rains all the time. mow in the rain. long as its not lightening,i put on a slicker if im getting behind

4. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Really can't do that down here. Different grass. Different situation.

Plus we are talking about puddles in people's yards down here. We got alot of rain in the past couple of days.

5. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, 90 % of my clients are 10-14 days, every week would be great though. maybe someday.

6. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Well Schepie... it seems that we are in the same boat. When it rains as bad as it has been lately I have to push everyone a week. It is the only way until it dries out. It's not like you can mow the water. But, let me tell you that I do have some clients that think that even though it is flooding their yard can still some how be mowed. Go figure!!:rolleyes:

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

RAIN:

This is exactly why I don't even consider 14 day accounts anymore (and rarely take a 10 day one either).

The rains come, 18 to 20 days gets by between cuts, ...a $50 an hour lawn suddenly becomes a $16 an hour lawn (3 hours to finish instead of 1), you use 3 times the fuel, you have to scrap tons of wet grass from under the deck,...and it just puts you further behind.

Lots of rain combined with 2 week cuts suck.

That is , unless you don't mind leaving big, wet clumps of grass everywhere. ;)

8. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Getting rained out as we speak. :cry:

But I don't mind, we really needed it. If it stops and the yards are not too wet I'll mow tomorrow. If not, I'll wait until the next scheduled day. Grass around here has not been growing all that fast for the last week or so, so it won't hurt to let them go.

Jim