rain sensor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LeoS818, Jun 12, 2003.

1. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Will one Hunter mini click run two Hunter SRC clocks?

2. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

I think it would work. I dont see why it wouldnt. The question to ask is can the new wireless rain sensor work with more than one clock. This seems like it would be useful.

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

keep one rain sensor for each timer.

the rain sensor will send power to the other unit when it is not on. over time, it will burn the unit out.

i have seen this alot.

rain sensors are only $20...wireless are about $40...spend the extra dough.

brian

just my .02

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

i just took this pic, and since we are discussing rain sensors, i decided to post it.

brian:p

32 cornell dr. 5.jpg

5. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

Is this on a system you are servicing. And where do you get wireless for 40. My price which until now i thought was pretty good. I get pgps for 9.40. I am sure some of you guys who install thousands get it for much cheaper.

6. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

I called our suppiler today and he said the wireless are about $60.

7. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

uh hey I'm just asking because I don't know ok I have no experience with any other kind of rain gage but the free glass ones I get from Farm Bureau :) ... but isn't that sensor kind of close to the house? How far do you have to be from the house to negate the affects on a rain gage like that? What brand do you recommend? I would like to have one but I haven't a clue what to look for in one. Are they all about the same or is there an ultimate system?

8. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

As far as i am concerned Hunter makes the only rain sensor. Sure toro and a few others make them, but if you walk into an irrigation supply house and ask them for a rain sensor the hunter rain-click is what they will give you.

The sensor should be unobstructed from anything that can block the rain. And it should never be placed where a sprinkler will hit it(happens every once in a while) The sensor has a long enough arm on it if you put it on the eve it shouldnt be hit by runoff. Dont put it under a tree either.

9. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

I agree, put that sensor up on the top of the gutter away from trees or other obstructions so it can work propery.. the one on the fence looks like ssomeone got lazy to me. the house is going to block half of the rain.

shawn

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

PGP's obtained through my supplier cost me about $7.40 to $7.75 ea depending upon quantity. Rain sensor - a mini clik, costs me @$18.00.
    The hunter mini clik is simply a passive switch. Depending upon the length of wire run from the sensor to both controllers, it will work. However, resistence along wire length, cost of extra wire/labor plus reduction in retail sales equals you should be installing two sensors, one for each controller.