Rain Sensors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JeffY, Jul 14, 2006.

1. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

On one of my stops today, I had a repair order that the rain sensor we installed when we put the sprinkler system earlier this summer wasn't working. One of the techs had gone out there Tuesday and replaced the Hunter wireless sensor with a brand new one. He could not get the sending unit to send the signal unless it was 12" from the receiver. After spending some time and getting no where, he told the customer that I would make a visit when I could. So today, I stopped by and put in a new Hunter Wireless sensor and the furthest I could go before it stopped working was 10 feet. We install Hunter Wireless Rain sensors, but I had some Irritrol Rain Sensors in my truck from when a new guy at our distributer brought us the wrong ones. I put in the Irritrol brand and it worked like a charm. I seem to like this better than Hunter as it is always communicating with each other so you can tell if it's getting a signal or not. Have any of you guys experienced problems with Hunter Wireless Rain sensors? Oh...the distance from the sending unit to the receiver was only 30 feet.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Line of sight? Or any intervening masonry or metal?

3. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing between it was the vinyl siding of the garage. I had my co-worker hold the sending unit 20 feet away in the garage and it wouldn't work until I got to 10'.

4. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I exclusivly install irritrol sensors and can tell you that I ve had it at 275 feet and still working. I have found that it will work through almost anything as long as you keep the distance to a minimum

5. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Check the date code on it. I have found anything built last year would do that. The '06 should be good now. I believe it was something to do with the FCC. Now they have a FCC license and seem to work better. I had one work about 500' line of site from the receiver. I always have an Irritrol or a mini click on the truck because you just don't know what other signal interference there will be.

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Ive had ALOT of problems with the HUNTER units needing to be reset. Theres a button on the top of sensor, hold that button down to reset the signal.

7. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Is that on the '06 or the old ones?

8. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

products bought this year

9. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

I would check date codes and see if they are new ones. But keep them separate and give them to your dist. or Hunter rep and have them sent separately to be tested. We have found that some are sticky buttons in the the transmitter and/or if the power goes out they fail off and need to be reset for some reason. They are suppose to communicate every hour and reset but they don't. IMO the Irritrol is a good wireless. Very few call backs. The batteries don't last very long...but they work. There is nothing like the old hard wired mini click. Less to go wrong!