rain sensors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Backlap, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Backlap

Backlap LawnSite Member

Need to put rain sensors on controllers on about 70 properties.......What seems to be the most reailable. Rainbird....Hunter....clocks on properties.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Don't go with the Rainbird. Or anything Toro.

Hunter makes a good wireless sensor, and also the wired MiniClik. Irritrol has a decent wireless as well (even if Toro owns them now).

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Backlap, If you have an account with 70 properties... I would suggest you look into the HUGE PROFIT CENTER known as "Weathermatic SmartLine" controllers. It had the standard rain/freeze sensors, but the cost on a controller and weather monitor for a contractor is under $200 for everything. The customer will appreciate the 25%-50% savings on their water bill.
    I'll tell ya what, since I told you about this new way to make a killer profit, how about we spilt the earnings:)?

www.smartline.com

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Don't be so fast to assume a water management system either sensor or satellite driven, is going to save your client water.

I was talking to our local water management arm of the city government the other day and asked if one method sensor or satellite was saving more water. I was really looking for some guidance as to which brand name was fairing the best as there are sooo many new ones out there.

He said unfortunately they are having the opposite effect as they are programmed for plant health rather than water conservation. So in fact in most instances they are using more water than they would have expected or hoped.

A simple sensor that turns off the clock during periods of rain seem to me to be a no brainer though.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Water district close to my house had the exact same thing using the RainBird ET system. Customers that signed up actually used more water than last year. System was put in place by that water district.

6. This is why I like the concept of adding a moisture sensor to the system. I personally have found at my house the WM SL to save water. My settings are set by real precip rates and plant type. No annual plant setting on any zones. The annual plant setting is a water guzzler. My R/F sensor is set at 1/8" and I've programmed in an automatic two day delay after it dries out. You are right that it would be very easy to manipulate my settings to have my water usage jump tremendously. Real water savings in this country will occur when the cost of water gets to the point people limit the areas of their yard they actually water. In Kiril's words.
    GET RID OF THE TURF
    As far as sensors go I have found the Irritrol wireless like Dana says to be the quick reliable sensor on the market. Place the sensor where it actually does some good. Not under trees for example.

7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use the Mini-Clik as well, sounds like either code enforcement or you took over a HOA.

8. A point that occurred to me while getting my coffee/ESPN buzz going is that we water year round here. People tend to way over water in winter so the WM SL curbs that usage a lot.

9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

The RainBird ET system is of no use in my area since the nearest weather station it takes it 411 from is in a neighboring state.

10. Don't feel bad.:rolleyes: Frankly I don't think it is of use to anybody. The most overpriced product on the market in my opinion for what it does.