Rain... What do you guys do????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 8 yards left on my schedule for today (Friday), rained a lot last night, they are calling for rain off and on all day today... Right now (7:20 AM) its not raining, what do you guys do??? Try to work thru it??? Or pack it in and work on Saturday??? 3 of these are new accounts getting done for either the first or second time...
  2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Get as much done today as possible. If thats one yard, so be it. It is one less yard to do on Saturday. Dont rush but do a good job. Maybe you can spit out half of the 8 today.
  3. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess what I didn't mention is that these 8 accounts are 15 miles away...
  4. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Don't be afraid of mowing in the rain as long as it isn't a down pour. If it clumps a little bit go back over it or rack it up. If I packed it in every time the forecast was for rain I would always be behind.
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I would wait for Sat if it is going to be decent. The ground maybe soft and I would hate to leave ruts in a new acct. I do not like mowing in the rain and rarely do. If one has to do it on a regular basis, that means they have too many accts to service properly IMO
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

What type of mower and what size yards? I use a 21" on small lawns that does well in wet conditions. Like stated above, go over clump areas to spread out the grass. If you get a week of rain you can't stop mowing unless its sloppy.
  7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

In his signature:

2002 Scag 48" Tiger Cub w/ 19 HP Kawi
    2003 Exmark 36" Tracer w/ 15 HP Kawi
  8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

For RESIDENTIAL...If it is not raining & the SIDEWALKS are DRY, then I mow. Clippings stick to wet sidewalks & won't come off. RAKE clippings??? What is a rake?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I find a good rule of thumb is, once the pavement starts to dry off, you can usually cut without too much of a headache. Of course, you sometimes gotta do what ya gotta do.
  10. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

i always use a backpack blower on the lawn if i get clumps but i have not tried doing that in the rain. might just make bigger clumps or do nothing at all.