1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rain Wind and leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMFD92, Oct 14, 2004.

1. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked at the forecast for my area. Rain today and tomorrow then gusty winds this weekend and showers all next week. I can still cut but its gonna be quite a pain and blowing wet leaves is hard enough. When its windy its even harder. I try to blow with the wind but that always puts me in a bad spot. All the guys that help me are bailing out because of sports or just to lazy. At least next season I should have my Walker and a full time employee who i start training this winter. How do you guys make the best of this situtation.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

act of god surcharge. i can't walk on water, turn it to wine, or make the winds and rain stop. make sure you get paid for everything you do. if the 2 hour cleanup turns into a 4 hr job, because of weather, the price goes up.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't do that many, and do them on good days. Also, get wide open lots with few trees and let God take care of the leaves for you, yet drive around with a bagger so you can still charge the full clean-up fee.

4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I use the weather forecast for. Saw that the weather was gonna suck at the end of the week, so I increased my efforts, and got everything done by this afternoon. :) Let it rain, I can stay dry now, and we could use some rain anyway. Been pretty dry here for the last 3 weeks.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO...good one bg. BTW, how many surcharges do you figure you have by now???

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i got alot of them. i have this one lady, i emailed her yesterday. i told her in addition to the grass this week, there will be a twig and leaf surcharge. if this is a problem, let me know now BEFORE we come this week. i aint no slave.

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the laughs. I always enjoy reading your posts.

JP

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! Don't forget the E-mail surcharge for letting her know! :)

9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a day off. I'm not planning on working all day tomorrow because its supposed to be really cold, windy and rainy for most of the day.

Better to take a day off then to work in the cold, get sick and need to take a week off.