Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, May 6, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Its a little too dry for me this time of year, gettin nervous? Anyone else?
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If I didn't have commerical contracts, yes I would be very nervous. It is extremely dry here. Water restrictions in effect. Grass is growing a little. I'm cutting about every 2-3 weeks. We usually start seeing measureable rain in June, then you can't hardly keep up, but I can live with that problem.LOL. I guess this time of year is just the calm before the storm.LOL
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I just watched the weather guessers and the only place it is raining is where they don't need it, along the Mississippi River. We are getting dry here too and we might get some rain today.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

No rain here either. They were calling for showers here today but none on the radar so far. We need a steady 2 day rain to get things back growing. We havent even reached the dryest time of year--june and july unless there is some tropical stuff going on.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Central Florida we haven't had a decent rain (meaning anything over 1/8 of an inch)since March 30.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Bring on the hurricanes! Bad way to get a little rain but very effective nonetheless.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep, starting to need some rain here too.
    We are still cutting our customers every 7 days, but I'm geting worried that if this keeps up much longer, we will have to slow down on the cutting.

Those weather dudes have been promising us rain, but no such luck so far. I think our next best chance of rain is Tuesday, but at least the temperature has decreased some. We were way in the 80's these last couple of days, and without rain, that is not good.
  8. Hello Everybody:

I feel it coming again (drought), I can't remember the last time it's rained. I know it's been over 45 days & only 1/4" of rain.

Folks make fun of our Southern Churches praying for rain, but when you've done without it as long as we have you can understand why we pray for it? Rain is so precious to us & we need it so bad.

It's been getting dryer & dryer here for past 3 years. Last year wiped out quite a few in the Lawn Service Business here. Three Lawn Mower shops went out of business in the last year. These are little shops with virtually no overhead because all they did was sell parts & do repairs.

Up until 1995 I worked 4 & 5 Mechanics in back & one helper up front with me & wife, this time of year we always had 100 to 150 repairs waiting on us for Monday. Now just Wife & I up front, not even busy.

In the Back my 2 best Mechanics & they do not have enough work this Monday past Lunch, we got I think about 12 repairs waiting on us for Monday.

The Drought is KILLING US! Yes I've already prayed for rain today, for all around us, Not just where I live either? :) It's our Livelyhood!
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Rain, what's that? Looks like the only rain I'll see is right here. Enjoy..[​IMG]
  10. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I've had almost 3 inches of rain at my place the last two days. Sure wish I could send u guys a little. maybe not the hail and tornadoes tho.:)