Rain.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Aug 30, 2006.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Guys in PA, NJ, Del Know what im talking about. After 5 years I still don't know when to mow after it rains without grass balling up. Last night it rained the whole night and i decided this morning to bag the day. So I took my girlfriend out for a nice lunch. I see crews cutting and all of a sudden I feel guilty for not cutting today. After driving back i see their lawn (Bed bath and beyond) looking like hell grass balled up everywhere. (???)

Yesterday after a large soak the night before it still balled up for me and when the blades stoped all the muck fell on the grown :dizzy:

Just curious of how you bigger guys approach the rain/wet conditions when you can't take a day or 2 off. I do run gators and low lift for this but still its bad.

any suggestions

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it was too wet here in Northern, NJ to cut today IMO. Even though the roads are dry, the lawns are still wet, and have some standing water in low places on a few lawns. Tomorrow is supposed to ne a nice day, so I'll catch up on todays lawns tomorrow when it's not so wet. I saw crews out this afternoon, but it's still too wet to mow today IMO.

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

when it's really bad, i just mulch as well as possible. when i'm done, i re-cut the area pushing it in one direction (tword a wooded area for example). if there are the large cow-patty looking flat clumps left, i either pick them up or hit them with the blower. or leave them if the people aren't particular (lots of rural customers here don't care).

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Painfully simple...cut at regular height and then go back over the clumps at 1/2" or more to dispurse clippings evenly.

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Rodfathers technique works, also works going over 2nd time at full deck.

We mow rain or shine for the most part though this past week we did call a day off when it was too steady and soaking.

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried to get a couple in today but i started late(around 11) hoping it would dry up a little. They pretty much stayed wet all day and were really soft . I managed to get four accounts done going nice and easy with the ztr. Hopefully tomorrow it will be dryer and ill get a bunch in. I still dont think ill get all my accounts cut before it rains again this weekend but what can you do...

7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I got 20 minutes of rain out of this sissy tropical storm we had... I wished for alot more.