1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeepMudRancher, Sep 17, 2007.

1. DeepMudRancher

DeepMudRancher LawnSite Member

I had completely forgotten what rain was until the last couple days..... I am loving every bit of this rain, and we need all we can get.....i thought i would say somethin positive since most people arent getting rain lately!
  2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ha! yeh we got a crap load of rain at the begining of the season, now nothin!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

We're on the brink of water restrictions I am sure.
    Oh well, not the first time for me.

Here's the tip: When things improve don't forget the hard times.
    Don't get stupid and go from famine to feast mode spending all that money as soon as it picks up, but save it, put it away, and stay in famine mode even if you're hauling it in hand over fist. Always remember the hard times, and in the good times save, save, save.
    If the money really burns a hole in your pocket then start stocking up on supplies, parts, things your machines need to stay operational.
    I've ran this entire year thus far on fuel only, I did spend maybe $300 on a few things I didn't have in stock, but I still have a good 4,000 dollars worth of parts and back supplies. And when things improve I'm building it up to 8-10 thousand worth of stuff, the stuff I use for maintenance, mostly, but everything a company needs to stay running for YEARS with no income.
    Not no income at all, there's always some work, but it sure beats having to spend money I don't have.
    Oh and don't forget, you get it going on like that and you don't have to let them ride you to the last drop.
    I still tell customers 'thank you for your time' and walk away.
    Because THAT gives a business the edge it needs to survive in the future, now it can outlast every competitor until things improve.

Because times will improve, but the hard times come around again someday, it's back and forth, I learned to live like it's always the hard times then it's not so bad.
  4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

On the brink, half the counties around here have total water bans, while others can only water once a week....It is so bad here, but Bermuda only needs about a half inch to keep it going for a few weeks.....With rain two weekend in a row, Bermuda is growing faster then it has all summer.....and these cool temps arent bad either....Hopefully we will get more this weekend, 40% chance of friday....
  5. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

loving these afternoon showers, I just finished last weeks work today. LOL. I had to take an extra guy with me today to catch up with the grass. I am hoping for a late freeze so I can make up some of the cash not made from the drought.
  6. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

The rain gods blessed us with only .9 inches of rain, the most since July 9. We are on a 2 day alternating between even and odd address. Luck for us we have 3 lakes in the area so we are not as bad off as others.
  7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Well from the long range weather predictions, we are suppose to have a warmer then normal winter again this year. Didn't really get cold until we got that cold snap in Late march early April.....I think lawns will stay green until late Oct to Mid Nov....and maybe even longer depending on how low the temps get.....

We got the most rain this weekend then we have had within the last year and a half....
  8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

now even the aerate and seed season is in jepordy here. customers seem to be SOOO adverse to watering their lawns even though there is NO restriction here. I have done a few but it takes fall rain to generate the interest in their lawn again. The last time we got significant rain 4 weeks ago many people inquired about lawn repair. The lawns since have headed back into dormancy and so has demand.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Seems the weather guessers have backed off the rainy weekend forecast. Another high pressure will move in and kill that possibility:cry:
    We had one day of heavy rain last week. That wasn't enough to get the phone ringing since most yards were burned to a crisp. Just a terrible situation
  10. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Amen, Brother!!