Rain!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by jvanvliet, May 24, 2012.

1. Yea I got a lot done yesterday. It was humid as heck, BUT, workable. All I know is that this winter will be great. I think with this wet summer, we will have a cold winter....I really can't get that upset with the rain. It could be like Texas last year with everything dying. That would suck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Never happy about the weather right? Couple of days without rain and the irrigation calls are rolling in. One of our sub-divisions had their sprinkler pump stolen... no kidding, peeled back the locked cover and ripped the dang thing right out, plumbing wiring... :dizzy:

Got this from the "off topic" forum;

Rain.jpg

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

We have had one of the Dry and Hottest spring since 1998 when we had many Wild fires. While we have not had the wild fires, we have had WATER PROBLEM. Most of the wells in my area are now salt water intruded.

I got a call today to look at a Brand new 419 Bermuda sod job turning brown and dying. At first it had me puzzled. Then I noticed the citrus trees dying also, but the Hibiscus and other shrubs were OK. Citrus doesn't do well in Hard or salty water. I had my EC Meter with me and tested the well water. Bermuda is Not salt torrent and dies at less than 700 PPM of salt. The well water read 650 PPM.

Problem is as little rain fall that has leached into the ground this year the Ground water is becoming very salty. St Augustine can take up to 1300 PPM but will not turn green over a 1,000 PPM . St A will die at 1600 PPM of salt. Normally salt is not an issue this time of year because it is our traditional Rainy Season. Dry weather, New sod and a salt water wells don't mix.

At the cost of City water the only recommendation I could make was to re-drill a well to a deeper depth of over 200 ft to try and get fresher water. Well driller will only guarantee to hit water and not the quality of that water. Therefore it is a big gamble having an other well drilled. BTW my old nursery had a 300 ft well and now has 1000 PPM of salt. However Ornamental plants can normally take a higher salt contend in the water. I am glad I am out of the nursery business now.

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

lmao at the garfield cartoon!Its coming!

5. jvanvliet

Good grief, salt water intrusion that far inland!

I have wells here @60-70ft not producing brackish water (yet), rusty but not brakish.

Closer to the intercoastal, we're experiencing some salt water intrusion. Intercoastal & Ocean communities are no longer allowed to drill or use their wells.

6. jvanvliet

All the sprinklers are working... rain forecast for the next 5 days. :dizzy:

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

How far inland do you think I am??? HELLO!!!! I am on a salt water canal.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I guess Jvan hasn't seen your boat pics. :usflag:

The guys are ahead for the week and flying since that front seems to coming this way.:usflag:

9. jvanvliet

How the F would I know :dizzy:

10. jvanvliet

Glad we cut ahead the last couple of days. Had to call a 1/2 rain day. Trimming will have to wait.