Rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Sep 1, 2003.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

In the past four days, we have received 5 inches of rain... After very dry conditions for the psat two months. I had 1.5" cracks in my yards, etc... All of the sudden we are in a flood warning. I can see the grass getting shaggy and greening up already.. Problem is I can't get to it due to standing water!!!!! Arrgg.

Can anyone tell me the impact of this amount of rain suddenly on dry soil.. Will the brown, matted grass perk up for a while? Or am I just going to expierence a week of hard growth and go back dormant?

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That much rain at one time is not good for grass. It does nothing to harm the soil, but it does a wealth of damage to the grass.. First of all, it lays the grass over which can create disease due to no sunlight reaching the grass underneath.. Secondly, any weight on that lawn after a rain like that and you will be leaving large tread marks.. Some grass may die if it gets too much water (will first occur in areas with clay or very hard compacted soil).. Areas with loose soil (such as gravel pits,etc) can handle more water at one time, so it would not be as much of a problem..