Rainbird 5000 series Rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Does anyone use these rotors and if so what are your thoughts and likes and dislikes about them.
  2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I think they are great, along with the smaller 3500 version. They are very easy to adjust with a screwdriver, no damn special tool needed!

As far as reliability, I've had virtually no problems.....

I know previous rainbird rotors sucked, but they may have gotten it right with these rotors.
  3. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Do you use mainly Rainbird 5000 rotors or do use other brands also, and why? Just thinking of selling 2 different heads for installs next season, but always nervous about using something different for the first time.
  4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Never used them. But ive replaced a few. I dont use rainbird rotors. They just dont last. Their wiper seal sucks.

I use KRain Pro Plus / Toro S800

Hunter I-20's
  5. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Have used them for 3 years, everything from the stainless version to the plastic, GREAT RESULTS everytime. I would rate them a close 2nd to the pgp from hunter. I would really like to see a densogram or coverage profile to honestly say which one has the best coverage. Just my 2 cents worth.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have used them but still prefer the Hunter PGP. I replaced about 10 of them that failed (just like the T-Birds) this spring. They were sent back to Rainbird and tested. The results were that they were damaged during winterizing. Funny, I've still never seen a PGP damaged from winterizing.

PGPs are still the most reliable residential rotor out there.
  7. SuperShovel

SuperShovel LawnSite Member

I love 5000 series, they are all I will install now. Their coverage is excellent and they spin much faster than a hunter. They are also priced right and I have never had a problem with one in 3 years. They are also extremely easy to adjust and don't require a special tool.
  8. SuperShovel

By the way my friend who has been designing systems for 40 years introduced me to them, he installed them in his own home and was excited to tell me that he was surprised just how great the worked for him and recommended I use them.
  9. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Been using Rain-Bird equipement for the last 6 years. Would use nothing else.

Have replaced several Hunter PGP's with the new 5000's because they either failed or the coverage sucked. Have also replaced a lot of Maxi-paws due to them wearing out.

We only install one brand so as to have continuity in the system. I know a lot contractors use a variety in each system, but we just don't like to do that.
  10. SuperShovel

I used to like Maxi Paws for their coverage. But usually had to replace some because of dirt in the cup and such. Since I've been installing the rainbird rotors I haven't had to replace a single head and they cover excellent.

I have the same opinion of the hunter rotors. Their coverage in my opinion is unreliable.